YMF-X000A/H Dreadnought H
|Developed from||YMF-X000A Dreadnought|
|First Seen||71 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Canard Pars|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact nuclear fission reactor|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso|
|Armor||Phase Shift armor|
Technology and Combat characteristics
As its name implies, the Dreadnought H is based upon the original YMF-X000A Dreadnought with elements of the Hyperion Gundam (the "H" is Greek alphabets "Eta", referring to Roman "H" for "Hyperion") being incorporated into its design and weaponry. The only weaponry retained from the original Dreadnought are the four head mounted MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS. A new addition to the armament is the backpack which replaces the old DRAGOON pack. This backpack mounts beam cannons, beam sabers, grenade launchers and "Igelstellung II" CIWS. For defense the Dreadnought H mounts two "Hande Armure Lumiere", forearm-mount lightwave defensive barrier emitters, a system taken over from the Hyperion. Another weapon retained from the Hyperion is the RFW-99 "Zastava Stigmate" beam sub-machine gun with a mounted RBW Type 7001 "Romteknica" beam knife on it. Similar to the upgraded Hyperion's sub-machine gun, it is connected by a cable to the suit's reactor.
- MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS
- The Dreadnought H features 2 MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS guns mounted in the head. These guns fire small caliber, for a mobile suit, bullets at a high-speed rate of fire. With the movable head acting as a turret for the guns they are designed to shoot down incoming missiles or small lightly armored vehicles such as the Earth Alliance's missile trucks. Because of the weapons' relatively low power they are unsuitable for attack a more heavily armored target such as a mobile suit even at close range; however the CIWS can damage lightly armored areas such as sensors. When attacked by a CIWS system most pilots will instinctively work to protect their mobile suit, either by dodging or attempting to shield from the attack.
- Beam Cannon/Saber
- One of the most distinguishing features of the YMF-X000A/H Dreadnought H is its backpack unit which possesses equipment that can be used alternatively as a pair of high powered beam cannons or as a pair of high powered beam sabers. When the cannons are in use they swing over the top of the shoulders similar to the Hyperion's "Forfanterie" beam cannons and possess similar power. When the swords are in use the equipment swings under the arms so that the mobile suit's hands can grab manipulator handles. Because the beam emitter for the beam sabers are also the barrels for the cannons the weapons are too large to be used for high speed close combat. However, inversely, the weapons have such size and power that they easily overpower other mobile suits and are ideal for attacking ships.
- "Igelstellung II" CIWS
- The Igelstellung II type CIWS follows the principle of the standard CIWS in that it rapidly fires solid rounds, not unlike a machine gun, as a defensive measure in order to destroy incoming high-speed targets. The difference between the the Igelstellung II and its predecessor is that it is much larger, to the point that its weapons are of a high enough caliber as to be effective in destroying mobile suits. The Igelstellung II CIWS are part of the backpack unit but are only deployed in Sword mode, at which point they are positioned over the shoulders. This makes sense as the backpack's beam sabers, despite being melee weapons, are much to large and slow to be truly effective in "close" combat.
- Grenade launchers
- "Hande Armure Lumiere" lightwave defensive barrier
- Just like the Hyperion series, Dreadnought H has the "Armure Lumiere" lightwave defensive barrier. This system consists of 7 emitters, one on each arm and 5 on the backpack. The arm-mounted emitters can generate triangular beam shields, and the backpack-mounted units can project an energy globe similar to the "Umbrella of Artemis" that completely surrounds the mobile suit, protecting it from any attacks. However, this barrier completely drains the suit's batteries in approximately 5 minutes. Hyperion itself can attack through this barrier, including throw a beam knife. The shield system can also be used to form a massive beam spike, which is even able to stab through another lightwave barrier.
- RFW-99 "Zastava Stigmate" beam sub-machine gun
- For additional ranged combat, the suit is armed with a "Zastava Stigmate" beam sub-machine gun. The beam sub-machine gun's battery was stored in a "clip" which could be quickly and easily be replaced, and while its shots were weaker than those of standard beam rifles, its rate of fire was much greater. The machine gun also mounted one of the beam knives.
- RBW Type 7001 "Romteknica" beam knife
- A beam knife can be attached to the beam sub-machine gun and be used as a bayonet to attack enemies in close combat.
- The newest addition to the Dreadnought H is a backpack which mounts two beam cannons, beam sabers, and "Igelstellung II" CIWS. In combat, the Dreadnought H can assume a Buster Mode, in which the pods are mounted over the shoulders for use as beam cannons, and Sword Mode, in which they are mounted under the arms as beam swords. In Sword Mode, the vulcans and grenade launchers can also fire over the shoulders.
- Lightwave Defensive Barrier
- Replacing the old "Pristis" beam reamers are two "Armure Lumiere" lightwave defensive barrier emitters, which are mounted on the hips of the suit. When in use the emitters are mounted on the Dreadnought H' forearms.
After the last battle between Dreadnought pilot Prayer Reverie and Hyperion pilot Canard Pars, Prayer seemingly dies due to flaws in the cloning process through which he was created. The Dreadnought is then rebuilt by Junk Guild member Lowe Guele together with Canard into the Dreadnought H, which then becomes Canard's personal suit.
He at first works some time for the Junk Guild and uses his new suit to help defend GENESIS Alpha from ZAFT troops, while Lowe intends to use it to get to Mars. Canard eventually joins with the crew of the Agamemnon-class carrier Ortygia to form their own mercenary group. When the Earth Alliance attacks GENESIS Alpha to frame the Junk Guild, Canard again comes with his Dreadnought H to help them.