The YMS-01A Union Flag (aka Prototype Flag) is the forerunner unit of the SVMS-01 Union Flag, and was featured in the CD drama Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Another Story: Road to 2307. The unit was piloted by Graham Aker.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The YMS-01A Flag is a high performance mobile suit that is capable of transforming into a high speed jet fighter mode. Both modes are capable of aerial flight with the mobile suit mode providing greater mobility and the jet fighter mode providing greater speed. The Flag's linear rifle can be used in both modes. The sonic blade used for close combat and the defense rod are limited to use only in mobile suit mode. The mode the Flag uses for missions is usually selected and set beforehand. However Ace pilots such as Graham Aker have shown that it is possible for a skilled pilot to transform the Flag between mobile suit mode and jet fighter mode in mid-flight (dubbed the "Graham Special"). The YMS-01A Union Flag is manufactured and operated by the Iris Company.
- 20mm Machine Gun
- Mounted next to the cockpit drum. Used to shoot down incoming missiles. This weapon is not very effective in mobile suit combat.
- Defense Rod
- A standard defensive feature of AEU and Union mobile suits. The defense rod is a rotating rod usually connected to the elbow joint of the mobile suits left arm. Using rotary motion, the rod is capable of deflecting certain physical rounds such as bullets from a machine gun and in some cases a shot from a beam rifle by generating a plasma field. Compared to a conventional shield, the defense rod is lighter as the Flag has to maintain its speed advantage and maneuverability during combat.
- Depending on mission parameters the Flag can be equipped with different missiles like air-to-air missiles or air-to-surface missiles.
- Linear Rifle
- A rifle that fires electromagnetically-accelerated live rounds and was one of the most advanced weapons available before the introduction of beam weaponry.
- Sonic Blade
- The standard melee weapon of both the AEU's and Union's mobile suits. A sonic blade is a folding dagger-like weapon that incorporates a high-frequency oscillating blade. The vibrations of the oscillating blade greatly increase the weapon's cutting capabilities. It can focus plasma in a sword shape to form a plasma sword.
In AD 2304, this unit was the competitor of the YMS-02 Union Blast to become the next mainstay mobile suit for the Union. In order to determine which model would become the victor, a mock battle between the two was held.
In AD 2304, Graham Aker tested the Iris Corporation's YMS-01A Union Flag. He first demonstrated the mobile suit's mid-air transformation, capturing its spectators with awe. The feat is later dubbed the "Graham Special".
The Iris Corporation's YMS-01A Union Flag, piloted by Graham Aker, participates in a mock battle against Bell Factory's YMS-02 Union Blast, piloted by Sleg Sletcher, for the position of the Union's new mass production mobile suit. Graham won the mock battle, but Sleg's Blast crashed during the battle, killing Sleg in the process.
As a result, the Iris Corporation's YMS-01A Union Flag defeated Bell Factory's YMS-02 Union Blast for the position as the new mainstay mobile suit for the Union. The Blast was decommissioned and went into retirement.
Notes & Trivia
- This unit's model number YMS-01A is a reference to Zeon's first prototype mobile suits.
- ↑ HG 1/144 SVMS-01 Union Flag manual
|Mobile Suit Gundam 00N Mechanics|
|United Nations Forces / Earth Sphere Federation / Innovators|
GNMS-XCVII Alvaaron | GNW-20000 Arche Gundam | GNX-603T GN-X | GNX-609T GN-XIII | GNX-803T GN-XIV | GNZ-004/BW Gaga Cannon | SVMS-01O Over Flag
GNMA-0001V2 Regnant 2 | GNMA-XCVII Alvatore | GNMA-Y0001 Empruss
AEU-05G AEU Hellion Ground Type
|Extraterrestrial Living-metal Shape-shifter|
GNT-0000 00 Qan［T］
|Union of Solar Energy and Free Nations|
SVMS-01AS Union Flag Aero Sky Package Type | VMS-15 Union Realdo | YMS-01A Union Flag | YMS-02 Union Blast
|Advanced European Union|
AEU-09 AEU Enact
|Human Reform League|