The YMS-18 Kämpfer Prototype is the prototype version of Zeon's MS-18E Kämpfer mobile suit. It initially appears in the 1/144 original Kämpfer's model kit's instruction manual, and subsequently the Mobile Suit Gundam École du Ciel manga series.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
A prototype design created before the end of the One Year War, the YMS-18 Kämpfer Prototype was rapidly developed into different variations for specific mission roles, one of these being the heavy assault-oriented MS-18E Kämpfer. The Kämpfer Prototype featured head-mounted commander-type antenna, a traditional Zeonic green coloring scheme, large shoulder armors, and extra skirt armor which was omitted in the E-type model. Like its E-type variant, numerous vernier thrusters were installed throughout the mobile suit frame, resulted in its excellent speed and maneuverability.
- Vulcan Gun
- An uncommon feature on Zeon MS, the Kämpfer Prototype has a pair of head-mounted vulcan guns similar to Federation mobile suits. These shell firing weapons have a high-rate of fire but have little power and can't damage the thick armor of a mobile suit, though it can damage lightly armored areas such as the sensors. The weapons are ideal for shooting down small, fast moving, lightly armored targets such as missiles, small land vehicles, and attack helicopters.
- Beam Saber
- The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Kämpfer Prototype is equipped with two beam sabers, that when not in use are stored in the recharge racks located on each thigh.
- 360mm Giant Bazooka II
- A redesigned version of Dom series' 360mm Giant Bazooka, with improved shape charges and firepower. The Giant Bazooka II is magazine-fed with 5-round capacity. A single round is particularly effective in anti-ship warfare, and can blow the torso off of an enemy mobile suit. The Kampfer Prototype can equip two Bazookas, that when not in use can be stored on it's back.
- A pump-action shotgun that is similar to the model used by the Efreet, it can also be loaded automatically by an electric mechanism.
- Machine Gun
- A long-barreled, shell-firing heavy machine gun which was developed for Kämpfer Prototype. It features foldable bipod and reloadable drum magazine.
From its ease of disassembly and reassembly, the Kämpfer series had been used by Zeon Remnants in the post-One Year War era and later, by the Axis Zeon forces. A Kämpfer Prototype was operated by Zeon Remnants which was piloted by Akira and later, Asuna Elmarit. By U.C. 0086, the unit's parts are difficult to locate, making maintenance of the unit extremely difficult. Later this unit is even seen fielded by AEUG, a testament to its high performance.