ZGMF-1001 ZAKU Phantom
|Developed from||ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior|
|First Seen||73 C.E.|
|Manufacturer||Integrated Design Bureau|
|Known Pilots||Rey Za Burrel|
|Head Height||19.05 meters62.5 ft |
|Standard Weight||74.7 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in standard cockpit in torso|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The armament of the ZAKU Phantom is similar to the ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior, although the number of some weapons is doubled. Like the ZAKU Warrior, the Phantom features four hip mounted grenades of different types, as well as the optional MMI-M633 beam assault rifle and the M68 "Cattus" 500mm recoilless rifle. The greatest difference in armament is however the fact that the ZAKU Phantom features two shoulder shields, one mounted on each shoulder, while the ZAKU Warrior only has one. Each shield also carries a single MA-M8 beam tomahawk and mounts two energy caps for the beam assault rifle.
Another more decorative difference between the Phantom and Warrior is the decorative spike on the center of its head. It is unclear what if any internal improvements have been made, though at the very least thruster output is probably increased to counteract the added mass of the second shield. This however is so far only speculation.
- Shoulder Shield
- The shoulder shield is a distinctive feature of the ZAKU series. Unlike most mobile suit shields which are mounted or held by the left hand, the shields of the ZAKU series are mounted on the shoulder, leaving both hands free to hold weapons. Large enough to protect the torso the shield also serves as a storage unit for the beam tomahawk and for two spare energy clips for the beam rifle. The ZAKU Phantom possesses two shoulder shields, doubling its defensive and offensive abilities.
- MA-M8 Beam Tomahawk
- The beam tomahawk is a new variant of beam saber technology. It uses a shaped emitter to generate a small beam shaped ideally for cutting, but is terrible for piercing. The technology of the tomahawk allows for the beam to stay active even when it is no longer connected to the mobile suit's power supply. Combined with its aerodynamic design the tomahawk can be thrown as a makeshift ranged weapon. When no in use the tomahawk is stored in the ZAKU's shield. The ZAKU Phantom possesses two beam tomahawk.
- Hand grenade
- The ZAKU series of mobile suits is equipped with four hand grenades, two mounted on each side skirt armor. The grenades are mid-range explosives that are used in the same manner as ordinary grenades. Though the ZAKU can only equip four grenades there are five models that can be equipped in various combinations:
- ZR30F Fragmentation Grenade
- ZR20E High-Explosive Grenade
- ZR271 Thermite Incendiary Grenade
- ZR11Q Flash Grenade
- ZR13Q Smoke Grenade
- MMI-M633 Beam Assault Rifle
- The MMI-M633 beam assault rifle is a new model of beam rifle developed for the ZAKU series of mobile suits. Unlike previous beam rifles these do not draw power from the mobile suit's battery, instead energy is supplied by a drum-shaped energy clip attached to the beam rifle. This limits the number of shots available, however when the power is used up the energy clip can be ejected and replaced with a fresh one.
- M68 "Cattus" 500mm recoilless rifle
- The M68 "Cattus" 500mm recoilless rifle is a standard GINN armament that is similar in design to a bazooka, though fires non-explosive rounds. The M68 "Cattus" 500mm recoilless rifle has greater range and firepower than the MMI-M8A3 76mm heavy assault machine gun but has less ammunition and a slower rate of fire. Typically the "Cattus" is reserved for larger more heavily armored targets such as battleships. Due to similarity between the GINN and ZAKU the the "Cattus" can easily be used by the latter
Special Equipment & Features
After the first Bloody Valentine War, ZAFT creates a new series of advanced mobile suits to replace the aging ZGMF-1017 GINN and ZGMF-601R GuAIZ R. The result is the "New Millennium" series which consists of the ZAFT Armed Keeper of Unity mobile suits. One series of suits produced as a part of the ZAKU series is the ZAKU Phantom, which is fielded in limited numbers. While the ZAKU Warrior is a standard general-purpose mobile suit, the enhanced ZAKU Phantom is a limited-production unit for squad leaders and other prominent aces. As a result, most ZAKU Phantoms feature a custom color paintjob, although some Phantoms are painted in the same green color scheme as the basic ZAKU Warrior.
Prominent ZAFT aces using the ZAKU Phantom are first war veterans Yzak Joule, Dearka Elsman and Heine Westenfluss, while other pilots include Rey Za Burrel and Riika Sheder, with nearly each of them piloting a custom colored version. Since the ZAKU Phantom was designed for use with the Wizard Packs, each pilot fields his unit with one such pack, with the EX-M Blaze Wizard being the most prominent being used. During the war, most of these pilots however switch from the ZAKU Phantom to more advanced suits.
In CE 74, the ZAKU Phantom series is slowly replaced by the more advanced ZGMF-X2000 GOUF Ignited series, although some pilots, like Dearka Elsman, still use the ZAKU Phantom.