Technology & Combat Characteristics
Like its predecessor, the ZGMF-1017M GINN High Maneuver Type, the GINN High Maneuver Type II is designed for high mobiility. Unlike the GINN High Maneuver Type, the GINN High Maneuver Type II is not equipped with MMI-M729 thruster engines in its backpack. Instead, the suit is fitted with large versions of normal thrusters in its backpack for higher mobility during close combat. The suit also has more vernier thrusters, which are enhanced version of the original's, an improved sensor system in its head, and is armed with better close combat weaponry, in the form of a MA-M92 sword modeled after a Japanese katana, a shield, and a MMI-M636K beam carbine. As a result of all these changes, the GINN High Maneuver Type II has higher close combat capabilities than its predecessor and can even fight on an even level with the newer ZAFT Armed Keeper of Unity series.
- MA-M92 Sword
- A weapon that is in the same category as the GINN and CGUE's Heavy Blade, it is made from a rare metal developed by PLANT and external technology is added to the forging process, resulting in a sharper blade. A highly skilled pilot can use it to cleave 3 GINNs in a row in two with a single slash. This katana-like blade can also easily slice through the ZAKU's armor.
- A hand carried shield with anti-beam caoting, it is the MS's primary defense.
- MMI-M636K Beam Carbine
- A beam rifle with a short barrel that places an emphasis on maneuverability rather attack power or attack range. It is capable of rapid fire and can destroy enemy units in a single shot. Powered by an energy pack located at the rear end.
- Self-Destruct System
- A simple explosive final resort. It creates a sizable explosion, but does not do much damage to Variable Phase Shift Armor.
Although the old ZGMF-1017 GINN suit created by ZAFT during the First Alliance-PLANT War is long outdated and has beed replaced with the new ZAKU series, ZAFT still creates new variants of the old suit. One such variant is the GINN High Maneuver Type II, which is an upgraded variant of the highly popular ZGMF-1017M GINN High Maneuver Type used during the first war. Despite being based on an old design, the new suit is capable of holding itself against ZAFT's new ZAKU series (if piloted by good pilots).
In late CE 73, a group of Coordinator extremists loyal to Patrick Zala's ideals, use these mobile suit series to install flare motors on a large piece of the destroyed Junius Seven colony to let it fall on Earth. When ZAFT tries to break the massive rock apart using meteor breakers, the extremists use their GINN units to destroy the ZAFT mobile suits, resulting in a large battle around the falling debris. Eventually the Minerva and its Mobile Suits intervene who are eventually able to destroy the remaining extremist group after learning of the reason why they were doing this. Since the plan with the meteor breakers failed, the Minerva fires positron blaster cannon on the remaining fragment and successfully shatters it into hundreds of smaller pieces, which nevertheless cause massive damage on Earth. This incident is later called "Break the World" and used by Blue Cosmos/Logos to ignite the Second Alliance-PLANT War.
Notes & Trivia
- The GINN High Maveuver Type II shares similar features to the Zeon Gelgoog. Including: Pointed shoulders, thrusters on the legs and reinforced chest armor.
- The production colors of the GINN H.M Type 2 are the same colors used by the Black Tri-Stars on their custom painted mobile suits.