The ZGMF-1017 GINN is a mass-produced general purpose mobile suit, it is the mainstay mobile suit of the Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty (ZAFT) up until the introduction of the ZGMF-600 GuAIZ near the end of the Bloody Valentine War. The unit is featured in the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The GINN is a durable, basic mobile suit and the first to be used in combat. It has two large, thruster-filled "wings" on its back and no built-in weapons. The suit is usually equipped with a 76mm machine gun and a 10-meter-long sword, and they can be replaced or supported by handheld and leg-mounted missile launchers, heavy particle cannon, recoiless rifle and sniper rifle. The missile launchers and particle cannon are classified as "D-Type" assault weapons and are more often used in attacking base or fortress. The versatile GINN has several variants, some of which (high-maneuver, desert, marine, tactical air reconnaissance and long-range space recon variants) are seen in the anime. The GINN was manufactured in such high quantities from CE 69-71, that they are even used by nonaligned factions, especially mercenaries and pirates, and remains in use for many years to come. The GINN's thrusters can only keep it airborne for a short time under gravity, so it uses the Guul subflight lifter to fly in the atmosphere. Late in the Bloody Valentine War, GINN pilots found their heavier, older suits to be out performed by the newer, lighter GAT-01 Strike Daggers of the Earth Alliance and MBF-M1 M1 Astrays of the Orb Union. Fortunately for ZAFT, by this time, the stronger, beam weaponry-equipped ZGMF-600 GuAIZ was in production. However due to the suit's excellent operability, it and its variants continued to be used widely even after the GuAIZ's introduction.
- MA-M3 Heavy Sword
- The MA-M3 heavy sword is the standard close range armament of the GINN series of mobile suits. In appearance the weapon is similar to a European broadsword, featuring a double-edged blade. The design of the sword relies on both its weight and the force of the attack to crush armor as much as it relies on its keenness to cut, and so far the design has proven highly effective against thin armor of the TS-MA2 Moebius. When not in use, the sword is typically mounted on the left side of the waist.
- MMI-M8A3 76mm Heavy Assault Machine Gun
- The MMI-M8A3 76mm heavy assault machine gun is the standard ranged armament of the GINN series of mobile suits. As its name suggests the MMI-M8A3 is a mobile suit assault machine gun. The machine gun has multiple modes of fire, one rapid-fire and the other a single-fire mode that has more power. The machine gun is clip-fed and the GINN is capable of carrying extra clips in case the first runs out of ammunition. Because of its versatility and power the MMI-M8A3 is the pilot's weapon of choice on almost any mission with the exception of anti-fortress combat. When not in use, the MMI-M8A3 is stored on a weapons mount on the back of the waist.
- M66 "Canus" Short-range Guided Missile Launcher
- The M66 "Canus" short-range guided missile launcher is a D-Type weapon and is armed with 4 missiles, 2 externally mounted large missiles and 2 small missiles within the launcher. It is a handheld weapon and is often carried in pairs, one in each hand. The large missiles are slow and therefore unsuitable for combat against nimble targets that can easily avoid them.
- M68 "Pardus" Short-range Guided 3-barrel Missile Launcher
- M68 "Pardus" short-range guided missile launcher is a D-Type weapon mounted on the GINN's legs. Compared to the missiles carried by the M66 "Canus", the ones here can be considered to be medium size missiles. It is often used together with the M66 "Canus" but can also be used independently.
- M69 "Barrus" Heavy Ion Cannon
- The M69 "Barrus" heavy ion cannon is an early model mobile suit beam weapon and a D-Type weapon. The "Barrus" cannon is similar in size and power to a bazooka, requiring its own independent power pack to operate. Because of its size the cannon is somewhat unwieldy and is not ideal for combat against nimble opponents. Although its power is not to be underestimated, the firepower is only comparable to beam rifle.
- M68 "Cattus" 500mm Recoilless Rifle
- The M68 "Cattus" 500mm recoilless rifle is a standard GINN armament that is similar in design to a bazooka, and can fire various types of rounds depending to the magazine used. The M68 "Cattus" 500mm recoilless rifle has greater range and firepower than the MMI-M8A3 76mm heavy assault machine gun but has less ammunition and a slower rate of fire. Like the machine gun, it is a frequently used weapon.
- Sniper Rifle
- The GINN is able to use the sniper rifle normally equipped to the ZGMF-LRR704B GINN Long Range Reconnaissance Type. During Operation Spit-Break, one GINN so equipped attacked the LCAM-01XA Archangel during the ship's attempted escape from JOSH-A
Developed from the YMF-01B Proto GINN, the ZGMF-1017 GINN is the first mass production military use mobile suit developed by ZAFT and roll off the production lines on November 3, 69 CE. It would continue to be ZAFT's primary and most heavily mass-produced mobile suit up into the year 71 CE. Many specialized variants of the suit are produced during the early months of the Bloody Valentine War, as ZAFT realized that standard GINN would not be able to adequately perform all missions in different environment. The GINN would also serve as the basis for some of ZAFT's future mobile suits, with some of them being replacement for the suit itself as the war progressed. The GINN is eventually replaced by the ZGMF-600 GuAIZ as ZAFT's main mass production type mobile suit, but it and its variant still remain in common use late into CE 73.
- TMF/S-3 GINN OCHER Type
- UWMF/S-1 GINN WASP Type
- YF-3A GINN FEMWS
- YMF-01B Proto GINN
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Ceremonial Decoration Type
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Gai Murakumo Custom
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Elijah Kiel Custom
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Miguel Aiman Custom
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Goud Veia Custom
- ZGMF-1017 Works GINN
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Un No Custom
- ZGMF-1017M GINN High Maneuver Type
- ZGMF-1017M2 GINN High Maneuver Type II
- ZGMF-1017AS GINN Assault Type
- ZGMF-LRR704B GINN Long Range Reconnaissance Type
- ZGMF/TAR-X1 GINN Tactical Air Reconnaissance Type
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Insurgent Type
- ZGMF-1017 GINN High Mobility Custom "Tempest"
- ZGMF-1017 GINN Heavy Artillery Custom "Fuego"
- The GINN is designated a Zero Gravity Maneuver Fighter by ZAFT, thus the designation "ZGMF."
- The Proto-GINN bears a close resemblance to the Universal Century's MS-05 Zaku I. Like wise the Proto-GINN's successor unit, the ZGMF-1017 GINN, closely resembles the MS-06 Zaku II. The GINN and Zaku mobile suit lines performed similar roles in their respective timelines, as the events of the Cosmic Era were largely derived from those of the early Universal Century.
- The GINN's weaponry carries the theme of being named after animals. "Barrus" is Latin for Elephant, "Pardus" is Latin for Leopard, "Cattus" is Latin for Cat, and "Canus" is a spin on "Canis" which is Latin for dog. The change on 'Canus" is likely to keep the pattern of the names ending with "us".
|Cosmic Era Mobile Weapons|
|Earth Alliance/OMNI Enforcer|
CAT1-X1/3 Hyperion Gundam Unit 1 — CAT1-X2/3 Hyperion Gundam Unit 2 — CAT1-X3/3 Hyperion Gundam Unit 3 | GAT-01 Strike Dagger | GAT-01A1 105 Dagger | GAT-01A2R Slaughter Dagger | GAT-01D Long Dagger | GAT/A-01E2 Buster Dagger | GAT-02L2 Dagger L | GAT-04 Windam | GAT-FJ108 Raigo | GAT-SO2R N Dagger N | GAT-333 Raider Full Spec | GAT-706S Deep Forbidden | GAT-707E Forbidden Vortex | GAT-X102 Duel — GAT-X1022 Blu Duel | GAT-X103 Buster Gundam — GAT-X103AP Verde Buster | GAT-X105 Strike Gundam — GAT-X105E Strike Gundam E | GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam | GAT-X133 Sword Calamity | GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam — GAT-X207SR Nero Blitz | GAT-X252 Forbidden Gundam — GAT-X255 Forbidden Blue | GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam — GAT-X303AA Rosso Aegis | GAT-X370 Raider Gundam | GAT-X399/Q Wild Dagger | GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam | TS-MA2 Moebius — TS-MA2mod.00 Moebius Zero | TS-MA4F Exus | TS-MB1B Euclid | TSX-MA717/ZD Pergrande | YMAF-X6BD Zamza-Zah | YMAG-X7F Gells-Ghe | ZGMF-X24S Chaos Gundam | ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam | ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam | GAT-X105E+AQM/E-X09S Strike Noir Gundam
|Vehicles & Support Units|
AMA-953 BABI | AMF-101 DINN | PMC-1L Arms Astray PMC Custom | TFA-2 ZuOOT | TFA-4DE GAZuOOT | TMF/A-802 BuCUE | TMF/A-802W2 Kerberos BuCUE Hound | TMF/A-803 LaGOWE | UMF-4A GOOhN | UMF-5 ZnO | UMF/SSO-3 ASH | UT-1D Civilian Astray DSSD Custom | XMF-P192P Proto-Chaos | YFX-200 CGUE DEEP Arms | YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type | YMF-X000A Dreadnought | YMF-01B Proto GINN | ZGM-1000/R4 Command ZAKU CCI | ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior | ZGMF-1001 ZAKU Phantom | ZGMF-1017 GINN | ZGMF-515 CGUE | ZGMF-515AS CGUE Assault | ZGMF-600 GuAIZ | ZGMF-601R GuAIZ R | ZGMF-X09A Justice Gundam | ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam | ZGMF-X11A Regenerate Gundam | ZGMF-X12A Testament Gundam | ZGMF-X13A Providence | ZGMF-X23S Saviour Gundam | ZGMF-X24S Chaos Gundam | ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam | ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam | ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam | ZGMF-X666S Legend Gundam | ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam | ZGMF-X999A ZAKU Trial Type | ZGMF-X2000 GOUF Ignited | GAT-X102 Duel Gundam | GAT-X103 Buster Gundam | GAT-X207 Blitz Gundam | GAT-X303 Aegis Gundam
|Vehicles & Support Units|
|Orb Union/Three Ships Alliance|
GAT-01A1 105 Dagger | GAT-01D Long Dagger | GAT-02L2 Dagger L | GAT-04 Windam | GAT-X103 Buster Gundam | GAT-X105 Strike Gundam | MBF-02 Strike Rouge | MBF-P01 Gundam Astray Gold Frame — MBF-P01-ReAMATU Gundam Astray Gold Frame Amatsu | MBF-P02 Gundam Astray Red Frame | MBF-P03 Gundam Astray Blue Frame | MBF-P04 Gundam Astray Green Frame | MBF-M1 M1 Astray | MVF-M11C Murasame | ORB-01 Akatsuki | ZGMF-X09A Justice | ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam | ZGMF-X19A ∞ Justice Gundam | ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam | ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam | ZGMF-XX09T DOM Trooper
|Vehicles & Support Units|
Aegis | Agamemnon | Archangel | Drake | Eternal | Izumo | Kuraokami | Laurasia | Nazca | Nelson | Takemikazuchi
|Junk Guild |
MBF-P03 Gundam Astray Blue Frame Second L — MBF-P03third Gundam Astray Blue Frame Third — MBF-P03R Gundam Astray Blue Frame 2nd Revise | ZGMF-1017 GINN Elijah Kiel Custom | CAT1-XG Hyperion G | GAT-X105E Strike Gundam E | Guti | ZGMF-515 CGUE | ZGMF-1001 ZAKU Elijah Kiel Custom | LV-ZGMF-X23S Vent Saviour Gundam
|Deep Space Survey & Development Organization|
LG-GAT-X105 Gale Strike Gundam | LH-GAT-X103 Hail Buster Gundam | LN-ZGMF-X13A Nix Providence Gundam | LR-GAT-X102 Regen Duel Gundam | LV-ZGMF-X23S Vent Saviour Gundam | LN-GAT-X207 Nebula Blitz Gundam | MBF-P05LM Gundam Astray Mirage Frame — MBF-P05LM2 Gundam Astray Mirage Frame 2nd Issue — MBF-P05LM3 Gundam Astray Mirage Frame 3rd Issue
Kimera | MAW-01 Mistral | MWF-JG71 Raysta | NMS-X07PO Gel Finieto | CAT1-XG Hyperion G | MBF-P04 Astray Green Frame | MWF-JG73 Civilian Astray 0 Custom | MWF-JG73 Civilian Astray JG Custom | ZGMF-X12D Gundam Astray Out Frame D
|Vehicles & Support Units|