Technology and Combat Characteristics
Compared to the standard GINN, Vair's GINN has a slightly higher performance, a distinctive red paint scheme, as well as modified shoulder armors. Besides the shoulder shield, it is only armed with the heavy blade and machine gun during its appearance in the story.
- MA-M3 Heavy Blade
- The MA-M3 heavy blade is a sword and the standard close range armament of the GINN series of mobile suits. It is manufactured using molecular processing technology and has an appearance similar to an European broadsword, featuring a double-edged blade. The design of the blade relies on both its weight and the force of the attack to crush armor as much as it relies on its keenness to cut. When not in use, the blade is typically mounted on the left side of the waist.
- MMI-M8A3 76mm Heavy Assault Machine Gun
- The MMI-M8A3 76mm heavy assault machine gun is the standard ranged armament of the GINN series of mobile suits and has two firing modes, semi-auto and full-auto. The machine gun is magazine-fed and the GINN is capable of carrying extra magazines in case the first one runs out of ammunition. Because of its versatility and power, the MMI-M8A3 is the pilot's weapon of choice on almost any mission with the exception of anti-fortress combat. When not in use, the MMI-M8A3 is stored on a weapons mount on the back of the waist.
- Shoulder Shield
- Unique to this particular GINN is a shoulder shield feature. The shield is mounted on the right shoulder and adds moderate defense to the mobile suit.
The ZGMF-1017 Vair's GINN is a unique custom GINN model piloted by ZAFT Ace, Gud Vair, who was known as the "Hero of ZAFT." Gud later deserted ZAFT as he hated the war and took his customized GINN along. At the Literia space colony, Gud befriends Elijah Kiel and they subsequently launched together to protect the colony from an EA fleet. However, Gud's split personality soon surfaces and leads to a fight between the two friends. The fight ended in a draw and Gud was killed by Gai Murakumo who had arrived together with the EA fleet. The damaged GINN Gud Vair Custom was then salvaged by the Junk Guild and Lowe used parts from it to repair Elijah's GINN.
Notes & Trivia
- Some earlier works spelled 'Vair' as 'Veia'.