Technology & Combat Characteristics
Developed during the early days of the Bloody Valentine War, the CGUE is a high performance mobile suit meant to replace ZGMF-1017 GINN as ZAFT's mass production MS. It has improved combat performance in space, and due to the use of enhanced thrusters, it also has increased mobility and maneuverability. Like the GINN, the CGUE has a fin-shaped sensor array on its head, no built-in weapons and must rely on the Guul subflight lifter to stay airborne while on Earth. The CGUE is typically armed with improved version of the GINN's heavy sword and machine gun, and has a vulcan mounted shield attached to its left arm. Although intended as a mass production suit, only a limited number of CGUEs are produced in the end due to ZAFT shifting its focus to the beam weapon equipped ZGMF-600 GuAIZ as the war progressed. The units produced are mainly assigned to team commanders like Rau Le Creuset.
- MA-M4A Heavy Sword
- An improved version of GINN's heavy sword and the standard close range armament of the GGUE. When not in use, the sword is typically mounted on one of the wings.
- M7070 28mm Vulcan System Shield
- Mounted on the left arm, the shield has a built-in vulcan cannon to improve the CGUE's close combat capability and to allow it to switch between offense and defense quickly.
- MMI-M7S 76mm Heavy Assault Machine Gun
- An improved version of GINN's machine Gun. It fires a type of armor piercing round designated "APSV," this round is extraordinarily powerful, but is incapable of dealing significant damage to enemies protected by Phase Shift armor. This machine gun is also used by AMF-101 DINN and its variants.
- M68 "Cattus" 500mm Recoilless Rifle
- An optional weapon also used by GINN, it is similar in design to a bazooka and can fire various types of rounds depending to the magazine used. The M68 "Cattus" 500mm recoilless rifle has greater range and firepower than the heavy assault machine gun but has less ammunition and a slower rate of fire.
- MA-M21G Beam Rifle
- The MA-M21G Beam Rifle was taken from Rau's GuAIZ after his GuAIZ has been severely damaged by the Freedom Gundam. Rau has used his GuAIZ's beam rifle only once during the battle of Mendel Colony against Three Ships Alliance and Earth Alliance.
The ZGMF-515 CGUE is a high performance mobile suit used by ZAFT during the Bloody Valentine War and mainly assigned to commanders like Rau Le Creuset, who famously used it during the theft of the Alliance's prototype Gundams. After studying the beam weapon technologies on the captured Gundams, ZAFT produced several YFX-200 CGUE DEEP Arms, an experimental mobile suit derived from the CGUE to test these technologies out. Later, Rau's CGUE was replaced by the newly developed ZGMF-600 GuAIZ. However, after his GuAIZ was severely damaged by Freedom during the battle of Mendel Colony, he used the CGUE once again and armed it with the beam rifle from his GuAIZ. After the battle of Mendel Colony, Rau would switch over to a more advanced mobile suit, the ZGMF-X13A Providence. A custom colored CGUE is used by Xist Elwes in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Frame Astrays.
Notes & Trivia
- In episode 46 Rau Le Creuset pilots his CGUE into battle and destroys one of the Dominion's Strike Daggers using a beam rifle, though this appears to be a spare left over from his GuAIZ. A CGUE is also seen using a beam rifle in the attack on JOSH-A - unlike with the previous example, the weapon visually appears to be the MMI-M7S machine gun, but fires a green energy beam.
- In Gundam SEED Battle Assault for Gameboy Advance, CGUE is only playable MS that isn't Gundam-type.