ZGMF-X09A Justice Gundam
|Developed from||YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type|
|First Seen||May 17, 71 C.E.|
|Last Seen||September 26, 71 C.E.|
|Manufacturer||Integrated Design Bureau|
|Known Pilots||Athrun Zala|
|Head Height||18.56 meters60.892 ft |
|Max Weight||75.4 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Nuclear Fission Reactor|
|Power Output||8826 kW11,835.86 hp|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, cockpit in chest|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
The armament of the Justice is conventional and consists of two hip-mounted beam sabers, beam boomerangs, head-mounted CIWS guns and a high-energy beam rifle, which is the same model used on the ZGMF-X10A Freedom . In addition, the Justice carries a large detachable Fatum-00 sub-flight lifter, which is also well-armed with a pair of beam cannons and multiple machine guns. For defense the Justice is equipped with a single physical shield on its left arm. It also mounts a tall sensor spine on the top of its head, similar to that of the GAT-X303 Aegis, indicating that it was likely also intended as a commander-type mobile suit.
- MA-M01 "Lacerta" Beam Sabers
- For close combat, the suit is equipped with two hip-mounted MA-M01 "Lacerta" beam sabers, which are of the same type as the ones used on its sister unit, the ZGMF-X10A Freedom. Athrun is usually seen combining both beam sabers into a double-bladed beam saber (reminiscent of the twin beam sword used by the MS-14A Gelgoog).
- MA-M20 "Lupus" Beam Rifle
- Like the Freedom, the Justice usually uses a MA-M20 "Lupus" beam rifle, which, besides its two beam cannons on the Fatum-00 backpack, is the only ranged beam weapon of the Justice.
- The METEOR unit is equipped with additional weapons and grants the Justice use of 120cm beam cannons,93.7cm high-energy beam cannons, MA-X200 beam swords and "Erinaceus" anti-ship missile launchers.
- MMI-GAU1 "Sagittus" 20mm CIWS
- As with most other suits, the Justice features two head-mounted CIWS guns of type MMI-GAU1 "Sagittus" 20mm, which are used to shoot down incoming missiles or close enemy units. These guns, foreshadowing what would later become standard practice, are much smaller in caliber than those of contemporary mobile suits.
- RQM51 "Bassel" beam boomerangs
- For added ranged combat the Justice also carries two RQM51 "Bassel" beam boomerangs, which are usually stored on the shoulders.
- Fatum-00/Subflight Lifter
- The most unique feature of the Justice is its Fatum-00 backpack, which can be remotely controlled or used as a subflight lifter. The backpack mounts two MA-4B "Fortis" beam cannons, which are mounted over the shoulders when used on HiMAT mode, two M9M9 "Cervus" turret machine guns and lastly four GAU5 "Volucris" machine guns.
- Meteor Support System
- Like the Freedom, the Justice can dock with the powerful METEOR weapon platform, granting it powerful thrusters and an even more powerful armament of battleship-caliber beam cannons, large beam swords, and dozens of heavy missile launchers.
- As with the other four Gundam units produced by ZAFT at its time, the Justice is equipped with a Neutron Jammer Canceller, which counters the effects of the ubiquitous Neutron Jammers and allows these suits to be powered by nuclear reactors. This gives them almost limitless combat endurance, even with Phase Shift armor activated.
- Operating System
- The Justice uses the operating system Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module complex.
- Like its sister unit the Freedom, the Justice is equipped with Phase Shift armor. Thanks to its N-Jammer Canceller and nuclear reactor the PS armor is capable of being active for a lot longer than on non-nuclear powered suits such as the Aegis.
In mid CE 71, ZAFT created a series of advanced mobile suits based on technology reverse-engineered from the captured Earth Alliance G Project suits. Like their EA predecessors, the ZAFT Gundams are armed with advanced beam weaponry and protected by Phase Shift armor. One of these suits is the Justice, which can be considered the sister unit of the Freedom. Most of the Justice' and Freedom's systems were tested on the YFX-600R GuAIZ Experimental Firearms Type.
Late in CE 71, Athrun Zala, former pilot of the Aegis, is assigned the Justice with the mission to either recapture or destroy its stolen sister unit, the Freedom. Instead, however, Athrun joins forces with his old friend Kira Yamato, in defending neutral Orb from an Earth Alliance attack. Later he met up with the support vessel Eternal which carried both METEOR units. Athrun and Kira used the METEORs' firepower to thwart an Earth Alliance nuclear missile attack on the PLANTs on the final day of the war, and Athrun also destroys the GAT-X131 Calamity with his METEOR's beam sword. Afterward, Athrun flies the Justice inside the gamma ray laser GENESIS and self-destructs it, preventing his father's doomsday weapon from firing on the Earth.
Over two years later, a more close-combat-oriented advanced version of the Justice is built by Terminal based on a design created by ZAFT, called the ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice, which is again piloted by Athrun.
- Justice's head crest displays the text "X-09A NOVE", which means "Nine" in Italian and is a reference to it's model number.
- The Justice is often confused with the ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice, largely because Athrun Zala refers to the latter as simply "Justice"
- Justice is considered as a Mobile Armor Mode when it mounts the Fatum-00 in Gundam Battle Assault 3: Featuring Gundam SEED.