ZGMF-X12D Astray Out Frame D
|Developed from||ZGMF-X12 Astray Out Frame|
|First Seen||74 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Jess Rabble|
|Head Height||17.71 meters58.104 ft |
|Max Weight||46.4 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, Cockpit in chest,Co-Pilot/Observer only, Cockpit in head|
The ZGMF-X12D Astray Out Frame D is a variant of the mobile suit ZGMF-X12 Gundam Astray Out Frame developed by the ZAFT and later modified by the Junk Guild. It appears in the manga series Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Resembling the ZGMF-X12A Testament due to it's upgraded parts, the Out Frame D's only fixed armament is a pair of "beam signs", which are mounted in its waist armor. These beam signs are extremely versatile, capable of functioning as beam sabers, fan-like signs, bulb-shaped shields, and ribbon-like whips. In shield mode, the beam signs are capable of blocking even a positron blaster cannon. In addition, the beam signs can combine to form larger signs or a beam nunchaku weapon, and can be attached to one of Out Frame's cables and spun rapidly to produce a much larger beam shield. Also, unlike ordinary beam sabers, the beam signs can be configured to any color, or multiple colors at once. This function even allows the fan mode to create video displays. The Out Frame also has a hardpoint on its back capable of mounting the Earth Alliance's Striker Packs. Unlike Testament, Out Frame D is powered by a more powerful Ultracompact Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor but still uses foaming metal armor similar to other Gundam Astrays instead of PS armor.
Jess typically carries an ultra-high-resolution "camera gun", and often uses the Striker Pack hardpoint to carry a pair of heavy manipulator arms (which also mount two "Armor Schneider" folding knives) and a large backpack known as the "Back Home" (which contains living quarters for the pilot), or the "G-Flight", a huge Striker Pack that gives Out Frame sustained flight capability on Earth and enhanced acceleration in space. The Back Home also contains both living quarters for the pilot and camouflage system called the "Shooting Cloak". When deployed, this system covers the Out Frame with a cloth-like cloak that alters its color to match the surrounding terrain. Both the Back Home and G-Flight Striker were designed by 8. The Out Frame is also sometimes equipped with an AQM/E-X01 Aile Striker pack, and on one occasion Jess used AQM/E-X03 Launcher Striker that he found while trapped in an abandoned asteroid base. In CE 73, Out Frame is further upgraded with the "Multi-Pack", an adapter for its Striker Pack hardpoint that allows for the use of ZAKU series Wizard Packs and the ZGMF-X56S Impulse's Silhouette Packs.
- Beam Signs
- Out Frame's only fixed armament, which are mounted in its waist armor. These beam signs are extremely versatile, capable of functioning as beam sabers, fan-like signs, bulb-shaped shields, and ribbon-like whips. In shield mode, the beam signs are capable of blocking even a positron blaster cannon.
- Gun Camera
- Despite it's name, the Gun Camera is used to take pictures when the Out Frame is in the battlefield.
- Heavy Manipulator Arm
- Mounted on the back, these specialized arms were very versatile on handling several items all at once.
- Wire Cable Launcher
- Mounted on the leg skirt, the Wire Cable Launcher were used for extreme situations such as descending down a huge cliff without the mobile suit getting damaged.
- Shooting Cloak
- The Shooting Cloak is a specialized cloak that protects the Out Frame from being seen in the battlefield while taking pictures. When deployed, this system covers the Out Frame with a cloth-like cloak that alters its color to match the surrounding terrain.
- "Armor Schneider" Combat Knife
- Stored in the Out Frame's Manipulator Arms are a pair of folding "Armor Schneider" combat knives. These knives do not need power from the suit, can be thrown, and are capable of piercing the joints and under-armored sections of ZAFT mobile suits.
- Beam Rifle
- The only long-ranged weaponry of the Out Frame D.
- Triple Smoke Grenade Launcher
- The Smoke Grenades were specialized Grenades used for escaping in the battlefield.
- Back Home
- A large Striker Pack which serves as Jess's living quarters.
- A special adapter for its Striker Pack hardpoint that allows for the use of ZAKU series Wizard Packs and the ZGMF-X56S Impulse's Silhouette Packs.
- Operating System
- Since the Out Frame uses the same cockpit interface as the ZGMF-X10A Freedom, the unit may have used the Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module complex operating system.
In late CE 71, Lowe gave the Out Frame to freelance journalist Jess Rabble, and also allowed him to borrow the compact AI unit "8" to assist in its operation. It was later upgraded by Lowe to the two-seat ZGMF-X12D Out Frame D ("D" standing for "dual") after sustaining severe damage from its sister unit RGX-00 Testament. The Out Frame D includes a secondary cockpit for a co-pilot/observer in the head, and resembles Testament more closely than the original configuration did (the only externally visible differences are the head, chest armor, and beam sign mounts) and is powered by a hyper-deuterion nuclear reactor similar to that of the ZGMF-X42S Destiny. Kaite pilots Out Frame D (equipped with the Sword Striker) with Jess as his co-pilot to defeat Testament. Afterward, Kaite takes Testament as his personal unit and Jess resumes piloting Out Frame alone. When Earth Alliance forces attack the Junk Guild's GENESIS Alpha base, Jess launches in Out Frame D with the G-Flight attached, but after it sustains damage it is replaced first by a Doppelhorn Striker and then by an Aile Striker, which Kaite forcibly removed from a GAT-02L2 Dagger L and GAT-04 Windam, respectively.
- Out Frame D's head crest displays the text "X-12 DODICI", which means "Twelve" in Italian and is a reference to its model number.