Technology & Combat Characteristics
Like the other ZGMF-X series of Gundams created by ZAFT in CE 71, the Providence is equipped with Neutron Jammer Canceller and powered by a nuclear reactor. It is also armored with Phase Shift armor and features armaments reverse engineered from the stolen mobile suits of the Earth Alliance. Initially designed as a close combat unit with large beam sabers, the Providence is later changed into a DRAGOON system equipped unit when Rau Le Creuset is designated as its pilot and because it could be powered by the nuclear reactor, but it still retains the heavy armor of the former's design. As this change is made after the main body's design is completed, some of the new parts could not be integrated into the body. An example is the six quantum communication cables running from the backpack to the chest that are mounted externally due to lack of interior space. Though exposed, these cables still have solid protection as they are covered by Phase Shift armor.
The DRAGOON system is the Providence's main weapon and is first tested on the YMF-X000A Dreadnought Gundam. It allows pilot with high spatial awareness, like Rau, to control multiple wireless guided weapon pods through quantum communication, hence enabling a single mobile suit to simultaneously battle with multiple enemies and attack from multiple directions, including its blindspot. The Providence's DRAGOON system is mounted on the large backpack and the hips, and includes 11 weapon pods that mount a total of 43 beam gun. Paired with the Multi Lock-On System, it is virtually impossible for these weapon pods to miss its mark. The suit's backpack has thrusters of different sizes to prevent loss of mobility caused by added weight of the DRAGOON Systems. Other armaments of the suit include four CIWS guns, a shield with two beam guns and a large beam saber, and a hand-carried large beam rifle. It was considered one of the most powerful mobile suits in C.E.71.
- Large DRAGOON Pod
- A remote weapon pod sporting nine beam guns. One is mounted at the top of the backpack, the other two are mounted at right angles from it with a smaller DRAGOON Pod in between each.
- Small DRAGOON Pod
- A smaller remote weapon with two beam guns. Two are mounted on the backpack, one pair on each side skirt armor and another pair on the back skirt armor. The ones on the backpack can flip forward to function as beam cannons when they are still attached.
- MA-M221 "Judicium" Beam Rifle
- A handheld weapon used by the Providence, the "Judicium" beam rifle is substantially larger than conventional beam rifles and is supported by the suit's shoulder when used. Although it is quite unwieldy, its output is higher than the "Lupus" beam rifle used by ZGMF-X09A Justice Gundam and ZGMF-X10A Freedom Gundam.
- MA-MV05A Composite Armed Shield System
- The composite armed shield system is mounted on the left arm and has both defensive and offensive properties. The system is armed with a large beam saber and two beam guns.
- MMI-GAU2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS
- Four CIWS guns are mounted on Providence, two on the head and two on the shoulder. These guns are not powerful enough to seriously damage other mobile suits but suitable for shooting down missiles and suppressive fire.
Special Equipment & Features
- As with the other four ZGMF-X Gundam units produced by ZAFT at its time, the Providence is equipped with a Neutron Jammer Canceller, which counters the effects of the ubiquitous Neutron Jammers and allows these suits to be powered by nuclear reactors. This gives them almost limitless combat endurance, even with Phase Shift armor activated.
- Operating System
- The Providence uses the operating system Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module complex.
- Like the other four units, the Providence is equipped with Phase Shift armor. Thanks to its N-Jammer Canceller and nuclear reactor the PS armor is capable of being active for a lot longer than on non-nuclear powered suits such as the Strike.
- Multi Lock-On System
- As implied by its name, this unique system allows Providence to target multiple enemies and attack them at once. To use this system effectively, the pilot must have high spatial awareness capability, which is rare even among Coordinators. The use of the Multi Lock-On System with the DRAGOON System's weapon pods ensure the Providence never miss its targets.
In mid CE 71, ZAFT creates a series of advanced mobile suits based on technology reverse-engineered from the captured Earth Alliance G Project suits. Like their EA predecessors, the ZAFT Gundams are armed with advanced beam weaponry and protected by Phase Shift armor. However, an additional technology is incorporated as well: the Neutron Jammer Canceller, which counters the effects of the ubiquitous Neutron Jammers and allows these suits to be powered by nuclear reactors. This gives them almost limitless combat endurance, even with Phase Shift armor activated.
One of these suits is the ZGMF-X13A Providence, which is the last of the series. The suit does not enter service until the final day of the war, September 26, CE 71, but it is used to great effect by Rau Le Creuset, who finally reveals his plot to destroy humanity. Rau proves the Providence's power by overwhelming and severely damaging Mu's GAT-X105 Strike and former subordinate Dearka Elsman's GAT-X103 Buster with its power. He then heavily damages Kira Yamato's ZGMF-X10A Freedom, destroying its METEOR unit in the process. However, Kira ultimately prevails, as Le Creuset is mortally wounded when Kira's beam saber pierced his cockpit, then vaporized by a misfire of the sabotaged GENESIS laser.
During the Second Alliance-PLANT War, ZAFT creates a more advanced version of the Providence, the ZGMF-X666S Legend Gundam, which ironically is piloted by Rey Za Burrel, who, like Rau, is a failed clone of Mu's father Al Da Flaga.
Notes and Trivia
- Curiously, whereas the head crests of the Justice and Freedom display the machine's model number ("nove" (9) and "dieci" (10) respectively), this is not the case for the Providence: Despite its model number being "13", Providence's head crest displays the text "UNDICI", which means "Eleven" in Italian. This is a reference to the Providence being the eleventh Gundam to appear in the series (with the five original Gundams, the three Earth Alliance second-stage Gundams, the Justice and the Freedom, Providence is number 11).
- The number 13 is deemed as an unlucky number by certain countries and is also deemed as a number of misfortune.
- The Providence is originally listed as having only 2 "Picus" 76mm CIWS although their locations are unknown. The 1/144 HG model kit shows them to be head-mounted while in the anime, during the battle with Freedom, they are shown to be the protrusions at the shoulders. Later, source books simply combine this two locations together and states that Providence has 4 CIWS.
- Much like other MS units in the CE era, the Providence is based on a UC mobile suit, the closest being the MSN-02 Zeong. It shares the same color scheme, it having a slightly muted and darker version of the lead Gundam's color and performs a slew of lethal all-range beam showers with its mind-controlled weapons. It is also the final unit their pilot used in the war. The Providence itself was made based on the data of the G Weapons, similar to how Zeong would have originally been named the "Zeon Gundam".
- Despite its final boss-esque status, in all of the installations of the Gundam Vs series it appears in, Providence's cost is always lower than that of its rivaling units. In the crossover games, it consistently holds a cost of 2000, the amount usually reserved for ace custom suits or starter Gundams while other mobile suits of its nature tend to have 2500 or 3000.
- The Backpack's thrusters are similar in arrangment to those found on the FF-X7 Core Fighter from the original Mobile Suit Gundam.
- In Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT PLUS the Providence is an unlockable & PSP exclusive unit.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Master Grade Providence Gundam model kit manual
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 High Grade Providence Gundam model kit manual
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam SEED MS Encyclopedia (ISBN 978-4-7580-1108-2)