ZGMF-X19A ∞ Justice Gundam
|Developed from||ZGMF-X09A Justice|
|First Seen||74 C.E.|
|Known Pilots||Lacus Clyne|
|Head Height||18.9 meters62.008 ft |
|Max Weight||79.67 metric tons|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Hyper- Deuterion Nuclear Reactor|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, in cockpit in chest|
|Armor||Variable Phase-Shift Armor|
The ZGMF-X19A ∞ Justice (aka Infinite Justice, Justice) is a mobile suit and the successor to ZGMF-X09A Justice Gundam and featuring appears in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. The unit is mainly piloted by Athrun Zala.
Technology & Combat Characteristics
While the ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom is armed with numerous long-ranged weapons like Super DRAGOONs, the ∞ Justice is equipped with many close combat weapons. Its armaments include several beam sabers and blades, machine cannons, a beam boomerang, a grapple stinger and an optional beam rifle. As with its predecessor, the ∞ Justice mounts a sub-flight lifter, which also mounts a large number of weapons like beam cannons and beam sabers. The ∞ Justice seems designed to fight mostly other mobile suits, unlike the Strike Freedom which easily destroys 3 Nazca class battleships. However, the sub-flight lifter is capable of ramming straight through an enemy ship and Athrun uses this tactic to great effect to almost single-handedly sink the Minerva.
- MA-M02G "Super Lacerta" beam saber
- Similar to the ones being equipped and wielded by its companion unit: the Strike Freedom; it is capable of both stabbing and/or cutting through armor. As for the case of the Infinite Justice; it is commonly wielded as a dual- beam saber/ beam javellin.
- MA-M1911 high-energy beam rifle
- The METEOR unit is equipped with additional weapons in the forms of 120cm beam cannons, 93.7cm high-energy beam cannons, MA-X200 beam swords and "Erinaceus" anti-ship missile launchers- granting the ∞ Justice additional offensive and defensive capabilities.
- MMI-GAU26 17.5mm CIWS
- Two CIWS units are mounted in each side of the the chest, and is used for short range engagements, soft targets and point defense.
- MMI-M9L 14mm dual machine guns
- Two machine guns are mounted in each side of the head unit, meant for short range engagements, soft targets and point defense.
- MR-Q15A "Griffon" beam blades
- Another more unique weapon of the suit are its two MR-Q15A "Griffon" beam blades, one mounted in each lower leg. When activated, a beam is generated between the knees and foot, which allows the Infinite Justice to surprisingly attack enemy units or kick away beam boomerangs. This tactic is used to great effect by Athrun in his final battle with the Impulse and Destiny.
- MX2002 Beam Carry Shield
- As with the other newer Gundam-type mobile suits, the ∞ Justice is equipped with a beam shield for defense. While the other Gundams carry two beam shield generators, the Justice only mounts a single MX2002 beam carry shield on its left forearm. This shield however mounts additional weaponry, which comes in the form of a single RQM55 "Shining Edge" beam boomerang and a EEQ8 Grapple Stinger, similar to the extensional arrestors like that of the ZGMF-600 GuAIZ.
- Fatum-01 Backpack/Sub-Flight Lifter
- The main piece of weaponry used by the ∞ Justice is in the form of its Fatum-01 backpack/sub-flight lifter, an upgraded variant of the original ZGMF-X09A Justice's Fatum-00 backpack. As with its predecessor, the sub-flight lifter can be used in three different ways. The first is being mounted on the back of the suit with its wings swept back to take less space. Second, it can be used as a sub-flight lifter, similar to the function of ZAFT's Guul sub-flight lifter unit, allowing the ∞ Justice to stand upon it. The third use of the sub-flight lifter is as a remote weapon, during which it is controlled by the pilot to attack enemies from different directions. The Fatum-01 holds six engines, two large ones on top and four beneath the wings, granting the Fatum-01 (and the ∞ Justice when docked) great speed and agility.
- The Fatum-01 is not without weapons either. The weapons are: a MA-6J "Hyper Fortis" beam cannons are mounted over either shoulder when the Fatum-01 docks with the Infinite Justice. These weapons do have a limited range of traverse but can be elevated 180 degrees. Rotating the cannons 180 degrees exposes the MA-M02S "Preface Lacerta" beam sabers on the back side. There is a single MA-M02G "Super Lacerta" beam saber mounted in the Fatum-01's nose. Finally the leading edge of each wing mounts a MR-Q17X "Griffon 2" beam blades when flying on its own, the sub-flight lifter with activated blades can be used to ram into enemy structures, units, and battleships and fly through them, causing massive damage.
- Hyper-Deuterion Reactor
- Like the other new Gundams, the Infinite Justice mounts a Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor, granting it nearly infinite operation time and enough power to use the METEOR unit and Variable Phase Shift armor.
- METEOR Support System
- The suit's most powerful weapon is the optional METEOR support system, a large mobile weapons platform with powerful thrusters and an even more powerful armament of battleship-caliber beam cannons, large beam swords, and dozens of heavy missile launchers that are designed specifically for the ∞ Justice and its companion unit; Strike Freedom.
- Neutron Jammer Canceller
- A device built into the ∞ Justice to counter the effects of Neutron Jammers, which gives the ∞ Justice the ability to use its Hyper-Deuterion Reactor without the risk of being shut down.
- Operating System
- The ∞ Justice uses an updated version of the operating system Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module complex.
- An improved version of Phase Shift Armor, VPS armor is capable of automatically changing its strength and power consumption depending on both battle requirements and conditions.
The ZGMF-X19A ∞ Justice (Infinite Justice) is an advanced mobile suit secretly built by ZAFT's rogue Clyne Faction, based on the earlier ZGMF-X09A Justice unit. It utilizes a new engine design and advanced weaponry that gives it several times the combat ability of the original Justice.
The Second Battle of Orb
The ∞ Justice makes its debut in Cosmic Era 74, arriving on Earth together with the ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom during the ZAFT invasion of Orb. It is delivered to Athrun Zala personally by Lacus Clyne, who pilots the ∞ Justice through atmospheric re-entry and lands in the Archangel's mobile suit hangar to give it to Athrun. After talking with Lacus, Athrun takes off in the ∞ Justice to back-up Kira in the Strike Freedom, who was battling both the ZGMF-X42S Destiny and the ZGMF-X666S Legend and manages to chop off Destiny's wrist despite Athrun being injured before the fight.
The Final Battle of Second Bloody Valentine War
The Justice also plays a highly prominent role in the end of the Second Bloody Valentine War. During the battle, Athrun manages to single-handedly disable both Lunamaria Hawke's ZGMF-X56S Impulse and Shinn Asuka's ZGMF-X42S Destiny, before crippling the Minerva by utilizing the multiple beam cutters on the Infinite Justice's Fatum-01 backpack to destroy the Minerva's spaceflight engines. Lastly, Athrun used the ∞ Justice's backpack, along with help from Mu La Flaga's ORB-01 Akatsuki's DRAGOONs, to destroy the Requiem Superweapon. When the battle is brought to an end, the ∞ Justice rescues both Shinn and Lunamaria on the Lunar Surface.
Notes & Trivia
- The ∞ Justice was originally to be called the "Knight Justice", but the name was later changed.
- ∞ Justice's head crest displays the text "X-19A DICIANNOVE", which means "Nineteen" in Italian and is a reference to the Infinite Justice's model number.
- ∞ Justice was named after Operation: Infinite Justice, the original name of Operation: Enduring Freedom, part of the US War on Terror.
- The ∞ Justice is the only unit of Athrun Zala that has survived and never sustained damage, the Aegis and Justice were both self-detonated for different causes, the ZAKU Warrior he took from Armory One was damaged beyond repair upon re-entry, the Saviour was also damaged beyond repair by the Freedom, and the GOUF Ignited he stole was destroyed by Shinn Asuka when he and Meyrin Hawke tried to escape. ∞ Justice on the other hand only stood to lose its Fatum-01 backpack after Athrun deployed it to strike right at Requiem's main cannon together with Shiranui Akatsuki Gundam's DRAGOON bit fire in order to completely destroy the weapon, although the suit still managed to have a new one attached to the suit thereafter when they escorted Lacus Clyne back to PLANT after she had mediated peace talks between ZAFT and ORB Union as it is shown in Gundam SEED Destiny Final Plus - The Chosen Future.
- Although it is upgraded from its predecessor the Justice, Athrun still refers to the Infinite Justice as "Justice", which also applies to Kira Yamato referring to Strike Freedom as simply "Freedom" in the show as well.
- ∞ Justice was only slightly taller than Strike Freedom in actual size, however in their Master Grade model kit, ∞ Justice is much taller than Strike Freedom.
- Despite Athrun was no longer a FAITH member when he received the ∞ Justice, there is a FAITH symbol in the decal of ∞ Justice Master Grade model kit (attached to ∞ Justice's left shoulder according to the manual book). In its G-FLEX release, the picture of its pilot, Athrun Zala is still wearing the ZAFT red suit with the FAITH badge on it. Otherwise, the Athrun Zala depicted on ∞ Justice's packaging on most types of Model Kits and toys correctly depicted him as wearing a junior-rank Orb Uniform as depicted in the show.
- The only moment where ∞ Justice was seen using the EEQ8 Grapple Stinger during the motion picture is in the opening scene of SEED Destiny Final Plus - The Chosen Future.
- The ∞ Justice's MA-M1911 beam rifle is named after the real-life "Colt" M1911 handgun, which is popularly used by Mafia gangsters and served the US Army in two World Wars.
- The METEOR Unit that ∞ Justice uses is called Unit 08, which is rebuilt together with Unit 07 which is used by Strike Freedom.
- The HG version of this kit drew a lot of flak from hobbyists for being unable to have two of its weaponry depicted: Namely the RQM55 "Shining Edge" beam boomerang and the EEQ8 Grapple Stinger; although these weapons are available for the 1/100 and MG versions.
Articles & References