ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Destiny was designed to be a multi-purpose MS without the need for exchanging equipment in battle; the unit is capable of handling a variety of combat situations. For close combat, the suit features not only two Beam boomerangs that double as beam sabers, but a large Anti-Ship Sword; it's the preferred weapon-of-choice of Destiny's pilot, Shinn Asuka. In addition, the Palm Beam Cannons are used in close combat. For long-ranged battle, it is equipped with a Long-Range Beam Cannon and an optional Beam Rifle. For defense the Destiny mounts a small physical shield as well as two Beam Shield Generators. Lastly the suit is equipped with a standard set of head mounted CIWS.
Originally developed as a high-performance and versatile machine, the Destiny's design allows for multiple external and internal weaponry. Later in the design process, it was deemed that a standard MS frame would hinder the overall performance of the Destiny in terms of maneuverability and the ability to operate its weapons quickly to be used to maximum effect. One of the innovations of this machine was a mechanism that enables human-like movement. Designers solved the problem by incorporating an armor dividing system similar to that used on the ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom. This system works in conjunction with a sliding mechanism for the dividing armor panels. The internal frame is composed of smaller and flexible components which utilize armor panels that can separate into smaller portions to allow the leg units to move through its full range of motion. The joints are constructed of the same materials found in Phase Shift armor. When activated, it is possible to adjust the stiffness of the joints during motion. The reaction also produces a glow when the joints are active .
The result is an overall increase in the joint range of motion and flexibility of the arm and leg units. However, this occurs at the cost of vulnerable areas on the exposed sections of the armor. This problem was partially alleviated by mapping out the achievable ranges of motion of the frame using Shinn Asuka's combat performance to determine the most efficient way to separate the armor parts. This gave the Destiny sufficient defense without sacrificing maneuverability and speed. Although the unit met its operational requirements and was accepted, however, various problems remain to be solved, including maintenance problems and complex component construction methods for production . In addition, it features improved versions of the Freedom's back unit large wings which are arranged symmetrically around the main thrusters .
The most unique aspect of Destiny is its Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor and its Wings of Light. The Wings of Light is a system that greatly increases Destiny's speed and uses mirage colloid properties to create an illusionary effect on Destiny. When activated, the rear releases its propulsion system, taking the appearance of "Wings of Light". Destiny would create multiple illusionary versions of itself to confuse the enemy as Destiny sets up for a high speed melee attack. The Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor is Destiny's primary power source, providing the necessary power to support all of it's energy consuming abilities. Because the nuclear reactor made the Deuterion Beam system unnecessary, Destiny can't be easily recharged as Impulse can; although the unit almost never has to be.
- M2000GX High-Energy Long-Range Beam Cannon
- Stored on the left wing, the M2000GX high-energy long-range beam cannon serves as the Destiny's primary long-range weapon. When in use, the cannon unfolds and swivels underneath the Destiny's shoulder while a trigger and guard extend to allow the Destiny to take manual aim. This beam cannon is the mobile suit's most powerful long-range weapon, possessing firepower that is capable of destroying most battleships with a single shot.
- MMI-714 "Arondight" Anti-Ship Sword
- Stored on a rack behind the right wing, the foldable MMI-714 "Arondight" anti-ship sword is the Destiny's main close-combat weapon. It is an improved version of the MMI-710 "Excalibur" anti-ship sword. It is normally used against large targets such as the Earth Alliance's GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundam. However, as Shinn Asuka's preferred weapon in close-quarters combat and arguably the strongest melee weapon in the Destiny's arsenal, it sees extensive use against all types of enemies.
- MMI-X340 "Palma Fiocina" Palm Beam Cannons
- A unique feature of the Destiny is its two MMI-X340 "Palma Fiocina" palm beam cannons. These close-range weapons release powerful energy discharges that are capable of destroying the "Slayer Whip" heat rods of a ZGMF-X2000 GOUF Ignited and even the armored head of the massive GFAS-X1 Destroy. Since the "Palma Fiocina" have only been used in close combat throughout the series and in other related appearances, it is unknown whether they are capable of firing over long ranges.
- During the final battle of Gundam Seed Destiny, Shinn attempted to use the "Palma Fiocina" to parry the beam sabers of Athrun Zala's ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam. However, due to a possible overload or simply because of the superior power in the beam sabers' concentrated beams, the Destiny's hands exploded.
- MX2351 "Solidus Fulgor" Beam Shield Generator
- Like its brother unit, the ZGMF-X666 Legend, the Destiny is also equipped with two wrist-mounted MX2351 "Solidus Fulgor" beam shield generators. These generators generate powerful beam shields that allow the Destiny to defend itself from even the combined power of a Destroy's three "Super Scylla" multi-phase beam cannons.
- RQM60F "Flash-Edge 2" Beam Boomerang
- The Destiny is equipped with two RQM60F "Flash-Edge 2" beam boomerangs. They are upgraded forms of the Sword Impulse's RQM60 "Flash-Edge" beam boomerangs. One is stored on each shoulder, similar to the ZGMF-X09A Justice. Unlike previous models, the Destiny's beam boomerangs also double as beam sabers, though they rarely see use in this form. Shinn uses these versatile weapons in a wide variety of ways, such as using them to distract opponents while he closes in for a close-range attack, or to destroy several enemy units in its trajectory.
- Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor
- The Destiny is powered by a hyper-deuterion nuclear reactor, giving it a self-replenishing power reserve. Despite this amazing power source, the Destiny is quick to run out of available power in a fight, with one of its engagements with the Strike Freedom ending in a retreat due to energy depletion. However this would end up being retconned in the Special Edition where the Destiny returned to the Minverva for repairs.
- Like the ∞ Justice,Strike Freedom and Legend, the with a Neutron Jammer Canceller to allow it's nuclear reactor to work in areas affected by Neutron Jammers.
- Operating System
- The ZGMF-X42S Destiny uses the Gunnery United Nuclear-Dueterion Advanced Maneuver operating system, (MOBILE SUIT NEO OPERATION SYSTEM Ver.1.62 Rev.29).
- Wings of Light
- The "Wings of Light" is the Destiny's most unique design feature. Utilizing a variant of the Voiture Lumiere propulsion system in conjunction with Mirage Colloid particles, the Destiny is capable of achieving very high speeds while leaving behind a trail of visible after-images to confuse its enemies. One of Shinn's signature attacks with the Destiny is utilizing the Wings of Light's massive acceleration in conjunction with the "Arondight" anti-ship sword. With the Wings of Light active, Shinn rushes into close combat range with unprecedented speed and impales his target with the Arondight. Most instances of Shinn performing this maneuver have been done against larger, less maneuverable opponents such as the Earth Alliance's Zamza-Zahs, Gelles-Ghes, and Destroys, which lends some doubt as to how effective this attack would actually be against units of similar mobility such as the Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice.
- As shown during the final battle of Gundam Seed Destiny and in an FMV cutscene in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2, the speed and after-images granted by the Wings of Light allow the Destiny to effectively dodge the multi-directional attacks of the DRAGOON System.
- The Wings of Light were actually reverse engineered from the DSSD's Stargazer's Voiture Lumiere propulsion system, unlike the Strike Freedom, who derived the system directly from the Stargazer.
The ZGMF-X42S Destiny is ZAFT’s newest and most advanced mobile suit. It was commissioned by ZAFT Chairman Gilbert Durandal, who ordered the new machine to be designed and built with the most advanced technology of the time, also incorporating technologies which were banned by the Junius Treaty . Based off of the ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam and Shinn Asuka’s combat data, it is designed to be able to handle any combat situation with its varied armament. Most of these armaments were tested on a specialized Silhouette pack mounted on the ZGMF-X56S/θ Destiny Impulse.
The Destiny was personally presented to the pilot Shinn Asuka by ZAFT Chairman Gilbert Durandal, and first entered combat against a ZGMF-2000 GOUF Ignited piloted by defector Athrun Zala. It then went on to participate in Operation Ragnarok, the invasion of Heaven's Base in Iceland, and was instrumental in the ZAFT-EA Defectors victory by first destroying the base's complement of GFAS-X1 Destroy Gundams.
It then participates in the attack on the Orb Union, where it was confronted by Cagalli Yula Athha in the ORB-01 Akatsuki. As his beam rifle and long-range beam cannon were shown to be ineffective against Akatsuki's anti-beam reflection system, he used his anti-ship sword and his beam boomerang to attack Cagalli/Akatsuki and manage to sever Akatsuki's shield-wielding right arm before Kira Yamato and Lacus Clyne made planetfall in ZGMF-X20A Strike Freedom Gundam and ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam to assist Orb and destroyed Destiny's remaining offensive weapons. The ensuing duel with Strike Freedom proved so ferocious, forcing Shinn into retreat for resupply as Rey Za Burrel relieved him. Shinn/Destiny returned to battlefield along with Rey/ZGMF-X666S Legend Gundam to battle Strike Freedom Gundam once again. The team was able to force the Strike Freedom into defensive until the timely intervention of Athrun Zala and his ZGMF-X19A Infinite Justice Gundam, who after activating SEED Mode along with Shinn managed to cut off Destiny's left arm before the ZAFT pilots received orders from Minerva to retreat.
The Destiny led the assault on the Requiem control station on the moon and was again instrumental in the ZAFT victory. Defeating numerous opposing mobile weapons, Shinn is able to successfully buy enough time for Lunamaria Hawke to infiltrate and destroy the command center with her ZGMF-X56S/γ Blast Impulse.
During the final battle of the Second Bloody Valentine War, Destiny was engaged against ∞ Justice Gundam and received major damage before being disabled by Athrun Zala/∞ Justice Gundam. The fate of Destiny is unknown.
- ZGMF-X42S-REVOLUTION Westenfluss's Customized Destiny
Notes & Trivia
- Destiny's head crest displays the text "X-42S DUE", which means "Second" in Italian and is a reference to Destiny's series number. The "S" represents its class as a Second Stage mobile suit. Originally developed as a third-stage machine, it was classified as second-stage for political reasons .
- The opening song, "Wings of Words", may be a reference to Destiny's Wings of Light.
- Every different version of the SEED Destiny storyline (as many as 3 different manga, as well as the TV series) has a slightly different take on how the Destiny Gundam was disabled; one has Athrun disabling the machine with its own Anti-Ship Sword before destroying the Requiem cannon with Destiny's weapon.
- The scene where Destiny apparently drained the Hyper-Deuterion reactor's reserves was edited out of the Special Edition compilations of the series, leading some to consider it an oversight on the staff's part that they later corrected (like Mwu's floating helmet was edited out of the SEED compilations).
- This scene however was referenced in Super Robot Wars K and L by limiting its attack list to mostly EN draining attacks, omitting attacks such as the beam boomerangs. This is in contrast to the Strike Freedom and Justice that while having similar draining powerful attacks, also having a nice amount of low EN cost or ammo based options. This isn't the case in the Z series as the Destiny can use its beam boomerangs as a low cost melee option. Also in Z2, it doesn't get its EN regen upgraded to 20% when fully upgraded like the Strike Freedom and ∞ Justice. Instead, Destiny gained +300 attack power as its full upgrade bonus.
- The Destiny's frame is actually inspired by the Strike's striker packs, as the sword and the long range beam cannon has a close resemblance to the Strike's.
- The Destiny and the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike Gundam draw their anti-ship swords in the exact same fashion.
- The Destiny and the GAT-X105+AQM/E-X03 Launcher Strike Gundam draw their cannons in the exact same fashion.
- It's been rumored Kira's upgrade mech would have been similar to the Destiny but the designers couldn't find a way to mix the three packs' main traits (Anti-ship sword, anti-ship cannon, and the booster pack) until GSD aired. This in turn might have inspired the Perfect Strike seen in the HD remaster of SEED.
- Some people call the Destiny's palm cannon "Destiny Finger", a reference to God Gundam's God Finger.
- In Gundam Seed Destiny: Alliance vs. Zaft Plus and Gundam vs. Gundam Next, whenever Destiny pulls out its Anti-ship Sword, the Beam Rifle simply disappears, although in the anime there's a storage area for it. The same thing happens with the Impulse Gundam when it pulls out its Beam Saber, which coincidentally are both piloted by Shinn Asuka.
- In Gundam vs Gundam, Destiny is also unlockable and a PSP exclusive unit
- The Destiny's role is similar to that of Zeta Gundam in the series of the same name; where Destiny, like Zeta is the protagonist's second mobile suit and their first mobile suits were given to a female character.
- An orange colored Destiny Gundam appeared in the CD case of J-pop artist T.M.Revolution's new album "X42S - REVOLUTION". Also, the Gundam itself has it's own 1/144 HG & 1/100 MG Gunpla release bundled with the Limited Edition of the Album to tie in with 30th anniversary of the Gundam series. The unit is unofficially known as the Destiny Gundam Heine Westenfluss Custom.
- Some of the Destiny's abilities mirror those of past gundams, such as The "Wings of Light" mirroring LM314V21 Victory 2 Gundam or it's after image ability mirroring the F91 Gundam F91.
- The Destiny Gundam is playable suit in Gundam Musou 2 and Gundam Musou 3.
- In SD Gundam G Generation portable,SD Gundam G Generation Wars, and G Generation World, there are two versions of Destiny. The normal version has access to beam saberang, vulcan, beam rifle, long range cannon and palm beam cannon. When pilot's tension guage reach max level, it will switch to a hyper version which replaces beam saberang and beam rifle attacks with anti-ship sword and beam boomerang attacks respectively, as well as an increased damage of palm beam cannon.
- In Super Robot Wars K, whenever Destiny destroys its opponent with "Arondight" Anti-Ship Sword, Destiny will let its opponent explode with the sword still stuck in it. But strangely, the sword can still be used thereafter. The quirk has been rectified in Super Robot Wars L, where Destiny retrieves its sword before its opponent explodes.
- Its high speed/mobility is referenced in a scene in Super Robot Wars L where Kira has difficulty dealing with an agile original enemy until Shinn stops it with an attack. Due to changed events in the game, the two pilots are on far friendlier terms compared to other games with GSD.
- An official limited Master Grade of Destiny Gundam Heine Westenfluss Custom was released and displayed in a Gunpla Expo on March 2011.
- Destiny has a unique default BGM compared to the other SEED Destiny units in Super Robot Wars K. The default BGM for Destiny is Zips (by TM Revolution), while the default BGM for the other SEED Destiny units is Kira, Sono Kokoro no Momo ni (by Toshihiko Sahashi).
- Destiny's strongest attack, Extreme Blast is slightly stronger than Strike Freedom's Super Dragoon Full Burst and ∞ Justice's Griffon 2 in Super Robot Wars L.
- During Operation Fury, the Destiny destroyed a Murasame with a white beam before engaging the Akatsuki in melee combat, implying the palm beam cannons might have long range capabilities.
- Destiny lost its final and most powerful attack, Full weapon Combination, in Super Robot Wars Z2 part 1 Hakai-hen. Therefore, there is no Destiny Finger animation in the game, and the "Arondight" Anti-Ship Sword became Destiny's strongest attack. However, Full Weapon Combination returns in Super Robot Wars Z2 part 2, Saisei-hen.
- In Super Robot Wars K and L, the Wings of Light was also activated during Destiny's attack with its High Energy Long Range Beam Cannon, despite the Wings of Light was mainly used during melee attacks or evasion that require a high speed as shown in the TV series.
- Destiny's model number is the answer to life, the universe and everything (42) according to the writer of the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" Douglas Adams.
- In Another Century's Episode: R which pick up sometime after the end of SEED DESTINY, Destiny is fully repaired. Shinn use it to join force with Kira and Athrun and investigate the unmanned Alliance mobile suits, before got swept in alternate dimension.
- In Gundam Memories, the Destiny's M2000GX High-Energy Long-Range Beam Cannon, is placed at the right part of its body, instead at the left, but when used, it is placed at the left side during Quick Attack, but still placed at the right in a Special attack.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1/100 MG Destiny Gundam reference manual
- ↑ Dengeki Data Collection: Gundam Seed Destiny, Media Works
- ↑ MG Destiny Gundam Extreme Burst Mode Manual
- ↑ Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray