ZGMF-X56S/δ Chaos Impulse
|Developed from||ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam|
|Manufacturer||Integrated Design Bureau|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (cockpit in torso using YFX-M56S Core Splendor)|
|Armor||Variable Phase Shift armor|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Unlike the standard forms, the Chaos Impulse is capable of transforming into high speed MA mode. In order to use this silhouette, Impulse must use a special leg flyer which has a large thruster on its hip armor instead of the Folding Razor knives. The mobile shield is also replaced by a pair of arm-mounted beam claw shields, which function as beam claws in close combat. Its backpack is armed with a multi-phase beam cannon as well as a pair of wireless mobile weapon pods, which function as additional boosters while attached to the Chaos Impulse, providing it with high mobility in MA mode.
- MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS
- Like most other mobile suits, the Impulse also mounts two MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS guns to shoot down incoming missiles or enemy units at close range. While most other suits have these CIWS guns installed in their heads, the Impulse instead mounts these guns in its chest.
- Beam Claw Shield
- Mount on the two arms of Chaos Impulse are two small Beam Claw Shield, which have 5 Beam Claws each, and is the close combat weapon of Chaos Impulse.
- EQFU-5X Mobile Weapon Pod
- A unique feature of the Chaos Impulse are its two EQFU-5X mobile weapon pods, which are equipped on the back of the suit. These pods can be detached from the Chaos and operated wirelessly to attack opponents from different directions. Featuring an simplified version of the DRAGOON system using a new Quantum Communication System, the pods can also be used by normal pilots. Thanks to their small wings and thrusters the pods can be used not only in space but also in the gravity of a planet. Each pod mounts a single MA-81R beam assault cannon as well as a large number of AGM141 "Firefly" guided missiles. The weapon pods also function as additional boosters while attached to the Chaos, providing it with high mobility in MA mode.
- MGX-2235B "Callidus Kai" multi-phase beam cannon
- The strongest energy weapon of the Chaos Impulse is a MGX-2235B "Callidus Kai" multi-phase beam cannon mounted in the mobile suit's backpack. This weapon was latter carried to Chaos Gundam.
- The Deuterion beam energy transfer system is a wireless energy transfer system built into the Second Stage Series and their support ship, the Minerva-class battleship. The system allows a mobile suit that is properly lined up with the Minerva to receive a recharge while in the field, meaning that if the mobile suit runs low on power during a battle it can be quickly recharged without coming into the ship's hanger. The transfer system if very efficient requiring only a few seconds before the mobile suit is fully recharged. Still on a battlefield even a few seconds could mean death so it is advisable for a machine to only perform the maneuver when they have covering fire.
- Variable Phase Shift allows the MS to automatically alter the strength and by extension the power consumption of a Mobile Suit's PS Armor automatically, depending on what combat configuration that MS is in. As a result, the MS's colors changes. Unlike MBF-02 Strike Rouge's color-shifting PS, VPS is capable of changing its strength in the field.
- Hardpoints for Silhouette Packs
- While the other suits of the Second Stage series are capable of transforming into a mobile armor mode, the Impulse instead is similar to the GAT-X105 Strike in the fact, that it can adapt to different situations by using exchangeable Silhouette packs. In addition to adding weapons and equipment for different mission profiles, these packs also reconfigure the Impulse's Variable Phase Shift armor.
In late CE 73, ZAFT created a new series of advanced mobile suits to succeed their previous generation of Gundams, which were all lost in the previous war. Since the Treaty of Junius banned the military use of the Neutron Jammer Canceller, these new Gundams use conventional battery power instead. However, technological improvements over the last two years mean that battery efficiency is improved. One of these new suits was the Impulse, a multi-role unit similar in concept to the Earth Alliance's old Strike. The Impulse was designed simultaneously with ZAFT's new battleship Minerva, which includes a catapult exclusive to its use. Using this smaller catapult, the Impulse launches with its modules divided, while combining in flight.
The idea behind Impulse was based on how many battles in the first war were influenced greatly by skill of a single ace pilot. By building an MS that can perform various roles, it's possible to let single ace pilots operate in many different situations. In addition to standard Silhouette Pack, more packs are design to allow Impulse to operate in a specific role. One of them is the δ Chaos Silhouette, which focuses on space combat by utilizing high speed MA form and wireless remote control weapon pods. However, the developers figuree out that Chaos Silhouette isn't very effective for its purpose. Thus the plans was scrapped and redesigned into a separate MS, the ZGMF-X24S Chaos.