ZGMF-X56S/ε Abyss Impulse Gundam
|Developed from||ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only, cockpit in torso using YFX-M56S Core Splendor|
|Armor||Variable Phase Shift Armor|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
An imaginary variant of ZGMF-X56S Impulse that gives it better underwater combat capabilities and is capable of transforming into a streamlined mobile armor mode which increases its speed when operating in water. Unlike the standard Impulse, the Abyss Impulse utilizes special leg flyer. Most of its weapons are loaded on the backpack and are of similar types as those on ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam. Notable, when using Abyss Silhouette, Impulse's VPS is changed to all blue to withstand underwater pressure.
Although ZAFT has a plan to fit ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam with a Core Splendor system, it is unknown how the variant look like and the plan seems to be abandoned after the theft of the Gundams. The design shown here is imaged by Jess.
- MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS
- Like most other mobile suits, the Abyss Impulse also mounts two MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS guns to shoot down incoming missiles or enemy units at close range. While most other suits have these CIWS guns installed in their heads, the Abyss Impulse instead mounts these guns in its chest.
- M71-AAK "Folding Razor" anti-armor knife
- Stored in the hip armors of the suit. While not realy effective against weapons like beam sabers, it is nonetheless capable of cutting into the armor of another mobile suit.
- M107 "Balaena Kai" Dual Beam Cannon
- An improved version of the Freedom's M100 "Balaena" Plasma beam cannons, the "Balaena Kai" dual beam cannon is only used in mobile armor mode, during which it usually faces forward but can swing up. Although ineffective in aquatic battle, Balaena Kai allow Abyss Impulse to fire on aerial targets as it leap from the water. The weapon is mounted on the backpack and usually points downwards when in MS mode.
- M68 Dual Cannon
- Another long range weapon of Abyss Impulse are two M68 Dual Cannon, capable of fire underwater. It can destroys a standard Mobile Suit with one shot.
- High-speed Guided Torpedo
- For underwater and land combat, the suit mounts four MMI-TT101 Mk9 high-speed guided torpedo launchers on the shields. In mobile suit mode, the shields can swing backwards to fire the torpedos at a target in front of the suit. In mobile armor mode, the launchers are facing on the front of the suit.
- 2 x MA-X223E Triple Beam Cannon
- Abyss Impulse is equipped with two sets of MA-X223Es and they are located inside the suit's shields.
- MX-RQB516 Beam Lance
- Similar to the Abyss Gundam, Abyss Impulse is equipped with a lance for close combat. The lance can generate a small beam blade at the end.
- The Deuterion beam energy transfer system is a wireless energy transfer system built into the Second Stage Series and their support ship, the Minerva-class battleship. The system allows a mobile suit that is properly lined up with the Minerva to receive a recharge while in the field, meaning that if the mobile suit runs low on power during a battle it can be quickly recharged without coming into the ship's hanger. The transfer system if very efficient requiring only a few seconds before the mobile suit is fully recharged. Still on a battlefield even a few seconds could mean death so it is advisable for a machine to only perform the maneuver when they have covering fire.
- Hardpoints for Silhouette Packs
- While the other suits of the Second Stage series are capable of transforming into a mobile armor mode, the Impulse instead is similar to the Strike in the fact, that it can adapt to different situations by using exchangeable Silhouette packs. In addition to adding weapons and equipment for different mission profiles, these packs also reconfigure the Impulse's Variable Phase Shift armor.
- Variable Phase Shift allows the MS to automatically alter the strength and by extension the power consumption of a Mobile Suit's PS Armor automatically, depending on what combat configuration that MS is in. As a result, the MS's colors changes. Unlike MBF-02 Strike Rouge's color-shifting PS, VPS is capable of changing its strength in the field.
In late CE 73, ZAFT created a new series of advanced mobile suits to succeed their previous generation of Gundams, which were all lost in the previous war. Since the Treaty of Junius banned the military use of the Neutron Jammer Canceller, these new Gundams use conventional battery power instead. However, technological improvements over the last two years mean that battery efficiency is improved. One of these new suits was the Impulse, a multi-role unit similar in concept to the Earth Alliance's old Strike. The Impulse was designed simultaneously with ZAFT's new battleship Minerva, which includes a catapult exclusive to its use. Using this smaller catapult, the Impulse launches with its modules divided, while combining in flight.
The idea behind Impulse was based on how many battles in the first war were weight greatly by skill of single ace pilot. By building a MS that can perform various roles, it's possible to let single ace pilots to operate in many different situations. In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray, Courtney Heironimus indicates that there is a plan to fit ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam with a Core Splendor system similar to those on ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam, meaning that Abyss is developed to collect data for new Silhouette Pack that would allow Impulse to have better performance in underwater combat. Jess then imagines about how ZGMF-X56S/ε Abyss Impulse might look like. This plan seems to be abandoned by ZAFT later, most likely due to the theft.