ZGMF-X56S/ζ Gaia Impulse Gundam
|Developed from||ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam|
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (cockpit in torso using YFX-M56S Core Splendor)|
|Armor||Variable Phase Shift Armor|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
An imaginary variant of ZGMF-X56S Impulse that gives it better ground combat capabilities and is capable of transforming into a quadrupedal mobile armor mode slightly similar to that of ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam. Unlike the standard Impulse, the Gaia Impulse utilises special leg flyer. Impulse's side armors on the hips are replaced with large wing binders that also house Vajra beam saber. Gaia Impulse's MA transformation is unique as the backpack seperates and attaches to the lower body, leaving the upper body in a fully functional MS state and giving it a centaur-like appearance but slightly backwards. Its main armaments are pair of large cannon sword, which can be use as either a cannon for long range attack or as a sword with a beam blade, allowing Gaia Impulse to slash through enemies as it runs pass them with great speed.
Although ZAFT has a plan to fit ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam with a Core Splendor system, it is unknown how the variant look like and the plan seems to be abandoned after the theft of the Gundams. The design shown here is imaged by Jess.
- MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS
- Like most other mobile suits, the Gaia Impulse also mounts two MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS guns to shoot down incoming missiles or enemy units at close range. While most other suits have these CIWS guns installed in their heads, the Gaia Impulse instead mounts these guns in its chest.
- MA-M941 "Vajra" Beam Saber
- Another feature similar to most other suits is the set of two MA-M941 "Vajra" beam sabers for close combat, which are mounted on the hips of the suit when not in use.
- Cannon Sword
- Instead of the two MR-Q17X "Griffon 2" Beam Blade and MA-81R Beam Assault Cannon of Gaia Gundam, Gaia Impulse Gundam mounts two cannon sword (both a sword and a beam cannon). It can be used in both MS and MA mode.
- The Deuterion beam energy transfer system is a wireless energy transfer system built into the Second Stage Series and their support ship, the Minerva-class battleship. The system allows a mobile suit that is properly lined up with the Minerva to receive a recharge while in the field, meaning that if the mobile suit runs low on power during a battle it can be quickly recharged without coming into the ship's hanger. The transfer system is very efficient, requiring only a few seconds before the mobile suit is fully recharged. Still on a battlefield even a few seconds could mean death so it is advisable for a machine to only perform the maneuver when they have covering fire.
- Hardpoints for Silhouette Packs
- While the other suits of the Second Stage series are capable of transforming into a mobile armor mode, the Impulse instead is similar to the Strike in the fact, that it can adapt to different situations by using exchangeable Silhouette packs. In addition to adding weapons and equipment for different mission profiles, these packs also reconfigure the Impulse's Variable Phase Shift armor.
- Variable Phase Shift allows the MS to automatically alter the strength and by extension the power consumption of a Mobile Suit's PS Armor automatically, depending on what combat configuration that MS is in. As a result, the MS's colors changes. Unlike MBF-02 Strike Rouge 's color-shifting PS, VPS is capable of changing its strength in the field.
In late CE 73, ZAFT created a new series of advanced mobile suits to succeed their previous generation of Gundams, which were all lost in the previous war. Since the Treaty of Junius banned the military use of the Neutron Jammer Canceller, these new Gundams use conventional battery power instead. However, technological improvements over the last two years mean that battery efficiency is improved. One of these new suits was the Impulse, a multi-role unit similar in concept to the Earth Alliance's old Strike. The Impulse was designed simultaneously with ZAFT's new battleship Minerva, which includes a catapult exclusive to its use. Using this smaller catapult, the Impulse launches with its modules divided, while combining in flight.
The idea behind Impulse was based on how many battles in the first war were weight greatly by skill of single ace pilot. By building a MS that can perform various roles, it's possible to let single ace pilots to operate in many different situations. In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray, Courtney Heironimus indicates that there is a plan to fit ZGMF-X88S Gaia Gundam with a Core Splendor system similar to those on ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam, meaning that Gaia is developed to collect data for new Silhouette Pack that would allow Impulse to have better performance in ground combat. Jess then imagines about how ZGMF-X56S/ζ Gaia Impulse might look like. This plan seems to be abandoned by ZAFT later, most likely due to the theft.