ZGMF-X56S/θ Destiny Impulse Gundam
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Destiny Impulse is a variant of ZGMF-X56S Impulse that combines the functions of Impulse's three Silhouette Packs into one, giving it the ability to handle various situations using only one set of equipment. Destiny Impulse is equipped with θ Destiny Silhouette, which has a new propulsion system, two MMI-710 "Excalibur" anti-ship swords (the same types used on the Sword Silhouette) and two high-energy long-range beam cannons. In addition, the base Impulse Gundam has been modified and is now equipped with additional "Flash Edge 2" beam boomerangs, which double as beam sabers and two MX2351 "Solidus Fulgur" beam shield generators, which are mounted on the forearms of the suit. Destiny Impulse retains the modular system of the original but due to modifications made to the MS, it can no longer use other Silhouette packs.
4 units are produced but analysis of the test data shows that higher performance can be obtained if a new MS is build from scratch, rather than using Impulse Gundam as the base unit. This subsequently leads to the development of ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam. Drawbacks of the design include its very high power consumption, hence requiring on average 3 deuterion beam energy transfers per sortie. The energy transfer system also cannot be used too often during combat as it stresses the machine’s structure. Due to these problems, even if the Destiny Impulse has high performance, it may not be able to fully utilize it. Nevertheless, the suit is still judged to be combat ready and there are records of it being used in combat operations.
- MMI-GAU25A 20mm Multi-barrel CIWS
- Like most other mobile suits, the Destiny Impulse Gundam also mounts two MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS guns to shoot down incoming missiles or enemy units at close range. While most other suits have these CIWS guns installed in their heads, the Impulse instead mounts these guns in its chest.
- M71-AAK "Folding Razor" Anti-armor Knife
- For close combat, the Destiny Impulse Gundam is equipped with two M71-AAK "Folding Razor" anti-armor knifes, which are stored in the hip armor of the suit when not in use. While not really effective against weapons like beam sabers, it is nonetheless capable of cutting into the armor of another mobile suit.
- MA-BAR72 High-energy Beam Rifle
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam usually uses a single MA-BAR72 high-energy beam rifle for ranged combat, a feature similar to most other advanced mobile suits. When not in use, this rifle is stored on the back of the suit, underneath the Silhouette pack.
- MMI-710 "Excalibur" Anti-ship Sword
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam mounts the same two large MMI-710 "Excalibur" anti-ship swords as the ZGMF-X56S/β Sword Impulse Gundam, which are similar to the swords used on the GAT-X133 Sword Calamity. The swords can also combine to create a large dual-bladed ambidextrous form. As the name implies, these swords are mainly used to attack ships in space and naval ships on Earth, although they can also be used against mobile suits and even used as a throwing weapon.
- High-energy Long-range Beam Cannon
- The prototype of Destiny's M2000GX high-energy long-range beam cannon. When in use, both the cannons unfold and swivel over the shoulders of the suit. These beam cannons are the mobile suit's most powerful long-range weapons, possessing firepower that is capable of destroying most battleships with a single shot.
- RQM-60F "Flash Edge 2" Beam Boomerang
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam is equipped with two RQM60F "Flash-Edge 2" beam boomerangs, which are also later passed down to the ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam. They are upgraded forms of the Sword Impulse's RQM60 "Flash-Edge" beam boomerangs, and stored on each elbow of the suit. Unlike previous models, the Destiny Impulse Gundam's beam boomerangs also double as beam sabers, though they rarely see use in this form.
- MX2351 "Solidus Fulgur" Beam Shield Generator
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam is also equipped with two wrist-mounted MX2351 "Solidus Fulgor" beam shield generators. These generators generate powerful beam shields that allow the Suit to withstand many powerful attacks.
- Variable Phase Shift allows the MS to automatically alter the strength and by extension the power consumption of the PS Armor, depending on what combat configuration that MS is in. As a result, the MS's colors changes. Unlike MBF-02 Strike Rouge's color-shifting PS, VPS is capable of changing its strength in the field, although this must be programmed beforehand.
- The Deuterion beam energy transfer system is a wireless energy transfer system built into the Second Stage Series and their support ship, the Minerva-class battleship. The system allows a mobile suit that is properly lined up with the Minerva to receive a recharge while in the field, meaning that if the mobile suit runs low on power during a battle it can be quickly recharged without coming into the ship's hanger. The transfer system if very efficient requiring only a few seconds before the mobile suit is fully recharged. Still on a battlefield even a few seconds could mean death so it is advisable for a machine to only perform the maneuver when they have covering fire.
Four units of the Destiny Impulse were built. Unit 1 was purple, white, and pink, Unit 2 red, white, and purple, and Unit 3 blue, white, and grey. The color for Unit 4 is so far unknown. Unit 1 was piloted by test pilot Mare Strode; during an encounter with Jess and friends, the Silhouette Pack was captured by the ZGMF-X12D Astray Out Frame D and Mare was forced to retreat. Unit 3 was piloted by Courtney Heironimus during the final battle near Mobile Space Fortress Messiah. The fate of Unit 2 and 4 as well as their pilots are so far unknown.