ZGMF-X56S/θ Destiny Impulse Gundam
|Developed from||ZGMF-X56S Impulse Gundam|
|Known Pilots||Courtney Heironimus|
|Overall Height||18.2 meters59.711 ft |
|Power-plant||Ultracompact Energy Battery|
|Pilot Accommodations||Pilot only (cockpit in chest using YFX-M56S Core Splendor)|
|Armor||Phase Shift armor|
Technology & Combat Characteristics
Besides using the base armament of the ZGMF-X56S Impulse, the Destiny Impulse is equipped with the θ Destiny Silhouette, granting it access to a wide variety of additional armaments. This includes two MMI-710 "Excalibur" anti-ship swords, the same types used on the Sword Silhouette, two high-energy long-range beam cannons, two RQM-60F "Flash Edge 2" beam boomerangs, which double as beam sabers and lastly two MX2351 "Solidus Fulgur" beam shield generators, which are mounted on the forearms of the suit. While the Destiny Silhouette effectively duplicates the functions of all three original Silhouettes, its very high power consumption makes it poorly suited for combat use on a battery-powered mobile suit.
- MMI-GAU25A 20mm Multi-barrel CIWS
- Like most other mobile suits, the Destiny Impulse Gundam also mounts two MMI-GAU25A 20mm CIWS guns to shoot down incoming missiles or enemy units at close range. While most other suits have these CIWS guns installed in their heads, the Impulse instead mounts these guns in its chest.
- M71-AAK "Folding Razor" Anti-armor Knife
- For close combat, the Destiny Impulse Gundam is equipped with two M71-AAK "Folding Razor" anti-armor knifes, which are stored in the hip armor of the suit when not in use. While not realy effective against weapons like beam sabers, it is nonetheless capable of cutting into the armor of another mobile suit.
- MA-BAR72 High-energy Beam Rifle
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam usually uses a single MA-BAR72 high-energy beam rifle for ranged combat, a feature similar to most other advanced mobile suits. When not in use, this rifle is stored on the back of the suit, underneath the Silhouette pack.
- MMI-710 "Excalibur" Anti-ship Sword
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam mounts the same two large MMI-710 "Excalibur" anti-ship swords as the ZGMF-X56S/β Sword Impulse Gundam, which are similar to the swords used on the GAT-X133 Sword Calamity. The swords can also combine to create a large dual-bladed ambidextrous form. As the name implies, these swords are mainly used to attack ships in space and naval ships on Earth, although they can also be used against mobile suits and even used as a throwing weapon.
- High-energy Long-range Beam Cannon
- The prototype of Destiny's M2000GX high-energy long-range beam cannon. When in use, both the cannons unfold and swivel over the shoulders of the suit. These beam cannons are the mobile suit's most powerful long-range weapons, possessing firepower that is capable of destroying most battleships with a single shot.
- RQM-60F "Flash Edge 2" Beam Boomerang
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam is equipped with two RQM60F "Flash-Edge 2" beam boomerangs, which are also later passed down to the ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam. They are upgraded forms of the Sword Impulse's RQM60 "Flash-Edge" beam boomerangs, and stored on each elbow of the suit. Unlike previous models, the Destiny Impulse Gundam's beam boomerangs also double as beam sabers, though they rarely see use in this form.
- MX2351 "Solidus Fulgur" Beam Shield Generator
- The Destiny Impulse Gundam is also equipped with two wrist-mounted MX2351 "Solidus Fulgor" beam shield generators. These generators generate powerful beam shields that allow the Suit to withstand many powerful attacks.
- Variable Phase Shift allows the MS to automatically alter the strength and by extension the power consumption of a Mobile Suit's PS Armor automatically, depending on what combat configuration that MS is in. As a result, the MS's colors changes. Unlike MBF-02 Strike Rouge's color-shifting PS, VPS is capable of changing its strength in the field.
- The Deuterion beam energy transfer system is a wireless energy transfer system built into the Second Stage Series and their support ship, the Minerva-class battleship. The system allows a mobile suit that is properly lined up with the Minerva to receive a recharge while in the field, meaning that if the mobile suit runs low on power during a battle it can be quickly recharged without coming into the ship's hanger. The transfer system if very efficient requiring only a few seconds before the mobile suit is fully recharged. Still on a battlefield even a few seconds could mean death so it is advisable for a machine to only perform the maneuver when they have covering fire.
- Hardpoints for Silhouette Packs
- While the other suits of the Second Stage series are capable of transforming into a mobile armor mode, the Impulse instead is similar to the Strike in the fact, that it can adapt to different situations by using exchangeable Silhouette packs. In addition to adding weapons and equipment for different mission profiles, these packs also reconfigure the Impulse's Variable Phase Shift armor.
After the first Bloody Valentine War, ZAFT created a new series of advanced Gundam-type mobile suits as part of its Second Stage series. One of these suits was the Impulse, which has the ability to mount Silhouette packs to adapt to different combat situations. One such Silhouette pack was the θ (Theta) Destiny Silhouette, a pack not used as a standard armament of the Impulse. This pack served as a testbed for some of the weapons and systems of the ZGMF-X42S Destiny Gundam, and thus includes a wide variety of weapons as well as the beam wing propulsion system.
Due to the high power consumption of the pack, it was never used in battle by the standard Impulse. However, during the course of the Second Bloody Valentine War, three additional units of the Impulse were built, each being equipped with a more advanced version of the Destiny Silhouette. Unit 1 was purple, white, and pink, Unit 2 red, white, and purple, and Unit 3 blue, white, and grey. The first (Unit 01) was eventually piloted by test pilot Mare Strode. Equipped with the Destiny Silhouette, the Silhouette was instead captured by the ZGMF-X12D Astray Out Frame D during a chance encounter with the Junk Guild. Mare's unit was then forced to retreat. Another unit (Unit 03) was piloted by Courtney Heironimus during the final battle near Mobile Space Fortress Messiah, also equipped with a Destiny Silhouette. The fate of the pilot and Unit 2 is so far unknown.