The ZM-S09G Tomliat is a fictional mobile weapon from the Mobile Suit Victory Gundam anime.
Technology and Combat Characteristics
The ZM-S09G Tomliat is a technological descendant of the ZM-S08G Zolo ground combat mobile suit. Like its predecessor, the ZM-S09G Tomliat is a ground combat mobile suit designed for combat on Earth.
When BESPA determined that the ZM-S08G Zolo's transformation/separation system and its Top Terminal/Bottom Terminal combination was too inefficient for mobile suit combat, they began work on a replacement model. For its new mobile suit design, BESPA discarded the costly and complicated separation and docking component system, and instead opted to utilize a design for a single fast-transformation body. This new design has the advantage of being simpler to build, thus making the Tomliat easier to maintain, and simpler to pilot as there is no second unit to control via remote.
Though its outer frame barely resembles that of the ZM-S08G Zolo, the ZM-S09G Tomliat makes use of many of the Zolo's internal components, including the same model fusion reactor, though it has been upgraded slightly. By using parts from the ZM-S08G Zolo to build the Tomliat, the Tomliat's production costs were relatively low. To further its simplicity and production costs the Tomliat utilizes the same hand armaments and most of the same built-in armaments as the ZM-S08G Zolo. There are however three differences in its weapon selection.
First the ZM-S09G Tomliat's beam sabers double as beam tomahawks. Second, the wing-mounted missile launchers which were optional on the ZM-S08G Zolo have become standard fixed equipment built onto the ZM-S09G Tomliat's wing-binders. Finally the ZM-S09G Tomliat is unable to mount the bomber unit that was used on the Zolo's Bottom Terminal. To make up for this the ZM-S09G Tomliat mounts a four-tube multi-launcher on each leg.
One distinctly unique feature of the ZM-S09G Tomliat is that its helicopter mode was designed to handle atmospheric re-entry on its own without the need of a shuttle or transport. Although, as seen with the XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1, its possible for any mobile suit equipped with an appropriate beam shield to make an atmospheric re-entry.
- Beam Rotor/Shield
- The beam rotor is a new technology developed by BESPA that is based on a combination of beam saber and beam shield technologies. The beam rotor equipment emits several beam sabers in the form of rotors that are then spun at high speed. This can be used to generate a lifting phenomena similar to that created by a Minovsky craft system, that when combined with the mobile suit's thrusters allows for flight and hovering capabilities. When the rotors are spinning they can be used to defend the mobile suit in a fashion similar to beam shield, or as a melee weapon to cut into the enemy. Like its predecessor the Zolo, the Tomliat can mount up to three beam rotors on hardpoints on the left and right arm and the mobile suit's back. However the Tomliat is typically only equipped with two. One on the back for use in helicopter mode, and one on the left arm for use in mobile suit mode. In helicopter mode the beam rotor is the primary means of lift/propulsion which is supplemented by thrusters.
- Beam Saber/Tomahawk
- Beam sabers are the standard melee combat weapon of mobile suits that uses high energy plasma contained by an I-field to form a blade. The Tomliat's beam sabers are hand-carried when in use and stored in recharge racks when not in use, the location of which are unknown. Because of the malleable nature of the I-field the beam saber can be reshaped into a beam tomahawk.
- Vulcan Gun
- The Vulcan gun is a multi-barrel machine gun mounted mounted under the nose cockpit in helicopter mode. Similar to mobile suit-used Vulcan guns of the past the weapon has a relatively small caliber, making it unsuitable for use against mobile suits. It is better used against lightly armored targets such as aircraft, transport truck, or soldiers.
- 4-tube Multi-Launcher
- Multi-launchers are missile launchers that are compatible with multiple types of missiles. A 4-tube variety is built into the legs of the Tomliat.
- 2-tube Multi-Launcher Pod
- Multi-launchers are missile launchers that are compatible with multiple types of missiles. A 2-tube variety is mounted on the wing binders of the Tomliat, which are only usable in helicopter mode.
- Beam Rifle
- A standard rang-type weapon employed by almost all mobile suits, though with many differing models, that fires beams of condensed mega particles. The mega particles are pre-condensed and stored in an e-pac that can be replaced mid-battle if the one in use runs out of energy.
- Beam Bazooka
- Gatling Cannon
- Missile Launchers
Special Equipment & Features
When it was determined the ZM-S08G Zolo was too inefficient and phased out of service, the Zanscare Empire deployed the newer and superior ZM-S09G Tomliat ground combat mobile suit that was developed by BESPA. The ZM-S09G Tomliat would take over the ZM-S08G Zolo's various roles, from standard mobile suit combat to acting as a bomber for bombing raids.
The Zanscare Empire would make use of its new mobile suit's ability to re-enter the atmosphere to quickly deploy the ZM-S09G Tomliat across the Earth.
- ZM-S09G Tomliat Africa deployment colors
- These units are painted in a sand yellow color scheme.
- ZM-S09G Tomliat "Black Widow" Team colors
- These units are used by a special operation force with recon and nigh combat duties; as the squad name suggests, they're painted in black. The typical "Black Widow" team is made of two ZM-S09G types and one ZM-S09GE type.
- This is a modified version of the Tomliat, mounting on its shoulders and hips various types of radar domes, night vision cameras, and additional sensor systems, plus stealth verniers on its wings. It's used by "Black Widow" Team.
Notes and Trivia