Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The ZM-S22S Rig Shokew is a mobile suit from Mobile Suit Victory Gundam.
Technology and Combat Characteristics
The ZM-S22S Rig Shokew is a mass-production version of the prototype ZMT-S12G Shokew. However despite the fact that the Rig Shokew's production was decided upon thanks to the Shokew's performance, the design of the mass-production version had been extensively overhauled and modified from the original. Part of the overhaul was simply to incorporate a more powerful fusion reactor, additional verniers for greater maneuverability, and a greater amount of more powerful rocket thrusters to increase acceleration performance. The Rig Shokew also has a slightly higher amount of titanium incorporated in the alloy of its armor, giving it better durability.
The more prominent design changes were to the physical features of the basic frame. The Rig Shokew stands a meter taller than the prototype, and the added size adds a bit to the empty weight, yet when fully-loaded it is lighter than the original Shokew. There has also been a substantial change to the armaments. First the beam rotor of the original has been replaced with a more standard beam shield mounted on the left arm. While not a typical rotor, this shield was able to function in a similar manner. A second major change is that the 2-barrel beam gun has been removed from the design, removing part of its ranged offensive abilities. Unlike the prototype the Rig Shokew seems to have been designed to specialize more towards melee combat in mind. To this end a trio of beam string emitters have been added in the form of a head antenna and toes, and a pair of beam fans were added to its built-in hand armaments. To compensate for the lack of the shoulder guns the Rig Shokew has a greater variety of optional hand carried beam weapons, and additional weapons can be mounted onto the back and leg hardpoints giving the Rig Shokew access to a large number of both melee and ranged weapons at any given time.
- Beam String Emitter
- The feet and "horn" of the Rig Shokew each mount a Beam String Emitter. Like its name suggests, it makes I-Field "Strings" that can be used to restrain an enemy unit, or protect the MS from missiles. It can even cut through the enemies armor, though the effectiveness of this application is limited by the relatively short reach of the Beam Strings.
- Beam Rifle
- The standard ranged armament of many MS is the beam rifle. The particle beam fired from a beam rifle can penetrate almost any armor that has not been treated with specific counter-measures.
- Beam Saber
- Another standard weapon of a MS. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber is capable of cutting through any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. When not in use, they are stored in recharge racks in the Rig Shokew's hips.
- Beam Fan
- In addition to the sabers, the Rig Shokew is equipped with a pair of Beam Fans. Like its name suggests, these are basically beam sabers with a shorter, far wider blade resembling a fan. The use of Beam Fan may have come from the legend that Kunoichi (Female Ninja) used fans for combat. They are used as a weapon, a shield, and a signalling tool.
- Hand Beam Gun
- While most mobile suits feature only a single large beam rifle, the Rig Shokew carries two additional small Hand Beam Guns. Despite their small size, the guns are powerful enough to destroy an enemy unit with a single shot.
- Beam Shield
- The Rig Shokew carries a Beam Shield on the left forearm. They can effectively block most beam and physical attacks, but fluctuate if the beam strike is too powerful. The Beam Shield can also be used as a cutting weapon, or to ram enemies.
Special Equipment & Features
- Hardpoints are located on either side of the backpack, and on the outer sides of the Rig Shokew's calves. These hardpoints can mount extra weapons to fulfill specific combat roles with maximum efficiency, thus making the Rig Shokew a very versatile Mobile Suit.
With the success of the ZMT-S12G Shokew, the mobile suit's design was overhauled and its flight data was used to mass-produce the ZM-S22S Rig Shokew to serve as the Zanscare Empire's next-generation front-line mobile suit. The advanced Rig Shokew would serve as the successor to older mobile suits such as the ZM-S06S Zoloat and ZM-S06G Zollidia. Because of its versatility and power the Zanscare Empire would have BESPA quickly produce the machine so that they could replace the older mobile suits on the front-lines.
Eventually a new limited-production model of the Rig Shokew would be produced, the ZM-S22SC Imperial Rig Shokew.
Notes & Trivia
- The Rig Shokew's model number stands for Zanscare Mobile weapon Suit 22 Space.
- Various publications have occasionally attributed the model number ZM-S22G to both this machine and its successor.
- ↑ Mobile Suit Victory Gundam Episode 36