Technology and Combat Characteristics
The Zanneck was a psycommu-enabled prototype unit by BESPA, that was fielded in the last years of the Zanscare War. The most notable feature of this mobile suit is the imposing saucer that it rests on. The Zanneck's mega beam cannon was able to hit targets on Earth from high in the atmosphere, or across long distances in a space conflicts. The blast from the Zanneck's beam cannon could only be deflected by the LM314V21 Victory 2 Gundam's mega beam shield or its wings of light.
The Zanneck contained two cockpits, but only one pilot could be utilized to operate the mobile suit. Since the Zanneck could attack without warning, the only way to detect it was through the sound of bells worn by Fuala Griffon that newtypes like Uso Ewin and Shakti Kareen could detect.
- 7-tube Missile Launcher
- Mounted within the torso of the Zanneck were a set of missile launchers. These rocket-propelled weapons were used for long to mid-range bombardment and to deal damage to heavily armored enemies.
- Beam Saber
- The standard close range armament for most mobile suits. The beam saber is a small cylindrical device held in the mobile suit's hands when operated and is powered by an energy capacitor that is recharged from special racks. The beam saber emits a blade of plasma contained by an I-Field and is capable of cutting through almost any metal that has not been treated with anti-beam coating. The Zanneck is equipped with two beam sabers to use for close combat.
- Beam Shield
- The Zanneck is equipped with a pair of beam shield generators, with one on each forearm. Unlike an I-field generator, which is effective only against beam attacks, the beam shield blocks both beam and projectile weapons. The beam shield generates a plane of energy similar to the blade of a beam saber. This plane is divided into multiple sections, which can be turned on or off as needed to conserve energy. Individual sections are also automatically deactivated whenever they're in danger of coming into contact with the mobile suit itself.
- Mega Beam Cannon
- This long cannon is the Zanneck's primary weapon. It can fire single shots, charged single shots and a charged beam cannon blast powered by the Zanneck's two particle accelerators.
Special Equipment & Features
- Minovsky Particle Accelerators
- Zanneck has two C-shaped particle accelerators on its shoulders used primarily to power its mega beam cannon. It is primarily powered by two Minovsky Power Generators. These particle acceletators could also act as scattering particle beams, though they could only be aimed to the side of the ZMT-S29 Zanneck.
- Psycommu System
- During the One Year War, the researchers of the Flanagan Institute discover that Newtypes emit powerful thoughtwaves - similar to regular brainwaves, but not electrical in nature - which they call psycowaves. The Flanagan Institute goes on to develop a mind-machine interface called the psycommu (psyco-communicator) system, which receives these thoughtwaves and translates them into computer commands. Using this interface a Newtype pilot can direct remote weapons, and operate huge mobile armors, by thought alone. The bells worn by Fuala Griffon serve as medium that enhances her power.
- Zanneck Base
- The Zanneck stands on this base with both feet. It allows the Zanneck to ascend, descend, and move in any direction. The Zanneck Base also includes a Beam Shield emitter to protect it from attacks coming from below it.
The Zanneck was first deployed on June 8, UC 0153, when it began attacking BESPA's former European base at Largane. The Zanneck was destroyed near the war's end by Uso Ewin's V2 Gundam.
Notes and Trivia
- Zanneck's motif is derived from the Fujin, the Japanese God of the Wind.
- Both Zanneck and ZMT-S28S Gengaozo derived from an unused design called Zancock.