Technology & Combat Characteristics
The Zanzibar II-class cruisers gained an additional four two-barrel beam turrets which made the ship as powerful as a Federation's Magellan-class battleship. It was capable of carrying eight mobile suits, and as the original, it could replace four mobile suits by a mobile armor on its hangar. The ship also featured a side mounted catapult and a rear launch deck located between the engines. It was also capable of better atmospheric flight due to a more aerodynamic design and the increase of its engines power.
- 2-barrel Main Gun Turret
- The Zanzibar II-class mobile cruiser is equipped with 2-barrel main gun turrets.
- 2-barrel Secondary Gun Turret
- The Zanzibar II-class mobile cruiser is equipped with 2-barrel secondary gun turrets.
- 120mm Machine Gun Turret
- The Zanzibar II-class mobile cruiser is equipped with machine gun turrets.
- J Missile Launcher
- A large missile that can sink a cruiser-class vessels in a single hit.
Special Equipment & Features
- Optional Booster
The Lili Marleen was destroyed during the final phase of Operation: Stardust by the Earth Federation's experimental Mobile Armor, the RX-78GP03D Gundam "Dendrobium Orchis".
The Zanzibar-class ships are seen in Mobile Suit Gundam, The 08th MS Team, and Gundam 0083. In U.C. 0090, at least three Zanzibar II-class cruisers are used by the 32nd battalion "Desert Liner", 19th Regiment, and the 33th Independent Battalion "Night Shade" remnant forces of the first Neo Zeon movement in Mobile Suit Gundam: The Return of Zeon.
Notes and Trivia
- The Zanzibar II cruiser Lili Marleen of Cima Fleet is named after the eponymous German love song performed by Lale Andersen and later by Marlene Dietrich during the 1940s.